B25 or B26, which was the better bomber?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for this FLYBOYJ it's very informative. Cheaper, faster, sufficient bombload and in plentiful supply - sounds good to me.

So, the spec the B-26 was designed against didn't call for short or rough field ops? I thought I'd read somewhere that was a requirement for medium vs heavy bombers.

An attack rather than bomber designation, but what about the Douglas A-20 Havoc/Boston?

There is a fair amount of information about all of these planes easily accessible on the internet.
A very good starting place is

American Military Aircraft

He takes a number of older books and condenses the accounts/information. If you take the time to read the various entries (the A-20 has 29 pages/entries) some of which are quite short you get a very good "back picture" of what was going on.

It's my view that there was little need for the B-26 to be honest in the war. The B-25 seemed to be able to do almost everything the B-26 could do, except carry the same load. They had the same range, similar speeds for most purposes.

They weren't part of the strategic bomber force where a lot of hitting power is actually needed, and for tactical purposes, both had adequate bomb-loads, firepower, and had about the same range.

Smells a bit like Ju 88 and Do 217 on the other side, similar range but heavier and higher bomb load. In my opinion both Do 217 and B-26 were better for the level bomber job whereas the somewhat better maneuverability of the Ju 88/B-25 made them better in other jobs.

I think Jimmy Doolittle would demur.

Users who are viewing this thread