Battle of France dedicated thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am not entirely sure regarding Norway but I only know of Hurricanes, too.
These were a number of squadrons (indeed enough planes to keep the CV HMS ARK ROYAL and HMS GLORIOUS busy for a week to bring them back during operation Alphabet to the UK).
Altough as far as HMS GLORIOUS is concerned, only RAF Hurricanes and RAF Gladiators were shipped...

Regarding whether or not RAF Spitfires participated the Battle of Britain, I found this comment:

regards,
delc

I am quite sure they did... you mean the BoF, right? 8)

Obviously there must have been some Spits in France, since the Germans captured at least one and tested it against their own planes.

I believe they first entered combat against enemy aircraft over Dunkerque - but they did shot down RAF aircraft much earlier in a friendly fire incidedent in 1939! :p .

Spitfires weren't based in France in 1940, but from the 23rd May they carried out sorties over France. According to Cull in 12 Days in May, the first combat was between 54 and 92 squadron and I/JG27, over Calais. 1 Spitfire was lost for 5 aircraft from JG27. Later the same day 92 squadron engaged 110s from ZG26 and ZG76, 2 aircraft were lost from each side.

Spitfires weren't allowed to be based outside UK till early 1942 when the first went to Malta. The 10 squadrons in France and 1 in Norway were Hurricane squadrons.
In Norway only No. 263 (Gladiators) and No. 46 (Hurricanes) were sent aboard Glorious in april and May 1940.

Anyway, No. 212 squadron had some recce Spitfires, and was based in France in 1940.
The other fighter squadrons were No. 85, 87, 607, 615, 3, 79, 504, 1, 73, 501.
No. 607 and 615 had a mix of Hurricane and Gladiators, other were Hurricane squadrons.

Max

Thanks for clarification, max75 and Hop.

Than it´s going to be a not very imaginative combat record with 67 Spitfire lost (mostly over Dunkirk), esspeccially as none was destroyed preventing them from falling into german hands (all operating from France) and bombing / strafing of the airfields doesn´t play a role either. german AAA over Dunkirk wasn´t intensively deployed, also.
Therefore a number has been lost to accidents, fuel exhoustion, pilot error but the majority must have been lost in aerial combat over Dunkirk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back