battle of midway aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Technically VF-42 was not at Midway. The squadron HQ, the CO, LCDR Charlie Fenton, and XO, LT Vince McCormack, was at MCAS Ewa on Oahu. The remaining pilots of VF-42, 16, I believe without looking it up, led by LTJG Bill Leonard, had trooped over to NAS Kaneohe and were TAD to VF-3 under LCDR Jimmie Thach and actually made up the majority of that squadron's flyers.

So, the planes flown by VF-42 pilots at Midway were all marked as VF-3. As noted above, photos can be found here, Battle of Midway but you have to work your way through, there's only 15 pages .. . page 5 has a nice shot of my father's VF-3 F4F taking off from Yorktown (or you can look directly here 80-G-312016 Battle of Midway, June 1942).

VF-3 F4Fs were all plain-jane F4Fs with the squadron insignia on the access panel just forward and below the cockpit, both sides. White numbers in the usual places, nothing unusual.
i can't use http://wpalette.com/ its down again

There used to be a website that had every Japanese Aircraft ever on a carrier from the early 30's to 1945. I can't recall the name. It was a Spanish site and was not really active when I ran across it by accident like three years back. It was very informative and every color scheme, plus tail markings, were based on actual photos and eye witness date from Japanese sources.

COLOR PROFILES This is the Spanish website. It might help with the IJNAAF markings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back