best 12 cylinders engined fighters, but RR and DB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Okay, so since RR DB their copies are out of this topic (or should be), maybe the 190D-9 is our winner.

we have more winners, imo, i writed "best... fighters" and not "best .... fighter" because i don't want a choice limited at a single and obviously late war fighter.

Unless you include the Me-262 jet there was no single dominant late war fighter. Late war Spitfires, Me-109s, P-51s and Fw-190s were all capable of prevailing when flown by a well trained pilot. Some of the late war Soviet aircraft were good too.

The Fw-190D9 was certainly among the best late war fighter aircraft. A worthy opponent for the late war P-51D and Spitfire XIV.
Very true up to about 20k ft. Above that the speed of the mustang, 442mph at 25k, and spitfire, 446 mph at 25k, greatly outclassed the D-9, 417 mph at 25k. In climb the mustang is slightly better at 25k, but the spitfire is almost 1000 ft/min better.

Unless you include the Me-262 jet there was no single dominant late war fighter. Late war Spitfires, Me-109s, P-51s and Fw-190s were all capable of prevailing when flown by a well trained pilot. Some of the late war Soviet aircraft were good too.

that was no the point. When i talk of WWII i'm not talking of last year of war.

Most WWII aerial combat took place below 20,000 feet so I assume that's where the Fw-190D9 was meant to fight.

Late war Me-109s with the DB605AS engine performed ok at high altitude and it had that massively powerful centerline mounted 3cm MK108 cannon. Me-262 aside it would have been my choice for attacking heavy bombers.

I think what he means is that in a lot of these threads/discussions about the "best" it comes down to one of the last planes/engines to go into service just before the end of the war. But that is progress. It also means that many aircraft/engines that were good in their day ( or for a year or two) and made large contributions don't qualify as "best" of the war.

For instance in the category of 14 cylinder radial single engine fighters the US is limited to the F4F Wildcat and and perhaps the P-36. Both did good work in their day but by 1944-45 both were nowhere near the front ranks.
The British have nothing in this category for the entire war.
French stop in 1940 with the Bloch 152.
Italians never have over 1000hp which rather limits them.
Germans have the FW 190.
Russians have the LA-5/7.
Japanese have the most variety. Ki-43, Ki-44, Zero and the J2M Raiden.

I know that is the other thread but but just shows that comparing a 1945 fighter to a 1940 fighter is only going to end up one way.

Last edited:
Most WWII aerial combat took place below 20,000 feet so I assume that's where the Fw-190D9 was meant to fight.

Late war Me-109s with the DB605AS engine performed ok at high altitude and it had that massively powerful centerline mounted 3cm MK108 cannon. Me-262 aside it would have been my choice for attacking heavy bombers.

No debate here.

Okay, Vincenzo, then I'll add Yak-9U and P-63A, to complete a 'best fighters' top three with 190D-9.

I know that is the other thread but but just shows that comparing a 1945 fighter to a 1940 fighter is only going to end up one way.

For that the choice is for fighters not for fighter, not for choice 3 late year fighters.
See my choice in post 18

Users who are viewing this thread

Back