Best Air Force 1939-1941

Best Air Force 1939 to 1941?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Seeing as how this thread has been resurrected, and assuming Imperial Japanese Air Force is the Imperial Japanese Army Air Force, I went with the RAF.
Spitfire, 'nuff said.

From the beginning of 1939 to the end of 1941 saw massive changes. Before Barbarossa the Soviet air force had more planes than all the rest combined (stated in the BBC documentary series "The World at War"}. The RAF had few Spitfires in service in Jan 1939 and little of anything else, the USA was the same. Over the period, in my opinion the LW was the best, but when Barbarossa came to a halt the world had seen the high point of its strength.

Well, the JP and US were not players till 41! Also I do not know much about 3 last ones (FR, IT and RU) ... that "other" option if includes Iran, it is a big no! The rumors say that DE tore apart GB in battle of Britain and Fall of France, but GB became winner! What really I see in the Poll, is Just DE vs GB! But which one is best? I do not know really!

If you know, let me know too!

Leadership being part of combat efficiency, I'd say the RAF earned its stripes in 1940. Good equipment comes into play; both sides had that. Awareness matters, too, and with CH radar, that was another advantage. Airmanship probably skewed to the Germans, given their experience garnered from Spain with both bombers and fighters. Slight edge to the RAF in my book.

Well, the JP and US were not players till 41! Also I do not know much about 3 last ones (FR, IT and RU) ...
The Empire of Japan had been at war since 1931 with the invasion of Manchuria.
It would be over ten years until Japan drug the US into WWII.
In Europe, Germany started "annexing" territories in the middle/late 1930's, but their attack on Poland in September 1939 started the war in Europe.
Coincidently, the Soviets were allies of Germany at the time of the attack on Poland, so they may be considered at war in 1939, although within two years, they will be invaded by Germany.
France was drug into WWII in 1940 with Germany's expansion westward, culminating in the Battle of France.
Italy invaded Ethiopia in 1935 and Greece in 1940, so they had been at war for some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back