Best Battle of Britain book?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Another one that is worth hunting down is "Battle of Britain" by Richard Hough and Dennis Richards. This book was produced around the time of the 50th anniversary of the Battle in 1990 (when I first bought a copy, which I still have and refer to) and is expertly written and researched. It also examines the planned German invasion in some detail. Most books on the battle these days rely on other people's work, but this one was independently researched; Richard Hough is a prominent naval historian of some merit.

"The Narrow Margin" is also a good book, but is a little dated in terms of accuracy i.e. references to Ju 88s in the invasion of Poland just wouldn't pass muster these days, although it was the first independently researched account of the battle, using archives on both sides of the Channel post-war to be released to print. It was also the book on which the feature film was based.

The After the Battle title "The Battle of Britain Then and Now" is a book for the serious historian and doesn't really tell the story of the battle; it's a bit of a door stop, being so big, but for pure data it is worth its weight in... ...err, paper. After the Battle take images taken from the battle ground in question and try and locate exactly where the picture was taken in modern times; in the Battle book the format examines RAF airfields and headquarters, as well as listing Rolls of Honour and RAF and Luftwaffe losses on each day of the battle. Serious stuff. :)

Good luck with your book choices; there's a huge range of Battle material in print.

There are many good books on the battle and there are a lot of different angles to look at it. One of my favorites is A Question of Honor: The Kosciuszko Squadron: Forgotten Heroes of World War II by Lynn Olsen and Stanley Cloud ISBN-10: 037572625X ISBN-13: 978-0375726255. It covers one of the Polish Squadrons in the BoB and their story after the war. It really gives you a more human look at the battle.

You could do worse than look through the This Day in the BOB thread. A number of us have cut and pasted it into a word document

Users who are viewing this thread

Back