Best Japanese fighter against USN planes

Which IJAAF or IJNAF fighter was the best against USN planes?

• Nakajima Ki 27 Nate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nakajima Ki 43 Oscar

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Nakajima Ki 44 Tojo

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Nakajima Ki 84 Frank

Votes: 43 46.2%
  • Kawasaki Ki 61 Tony

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Kawasaki Ki 100 Tony

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Kawasaki Ki 45 Nick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mitsubishi A6M Zeke

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Mitsubishi A7M Sam

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Mitsubishi J2M Jack

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Kawanishi N1K-J George

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Nakajima J1N Irving

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I chose the ki43.....this plane shot more Allied planes down than any other Japanese plane.
Just went through a whole study about this plane and its surprising efffectiveness and versatility.

I chose the ki43.....this plane shot more Allied planes down than any other Japanese plane.
Just went through a whole study about this plane and its surprising efffectiveness and versatility.

I saw that claim on Wikipedia that the Ki-43 shot down more Allied planes than any other Japanese plane, but it didn't have any attribution listed. Unless the Ki-43 shot down a bunch of Chinese aircraft, I would be surprised if the claim is true if only because there were far more A6M Zeros produced. Just under 6,000 Ki-43 were produced versus almost 11,000 A6M.

Depends on the target. Few Japanese aircraft, including the Ki84 could reach the operating altitude of the B-29s. Lightly built aircraft had a hard time against heavily armed and armoured aircraft like the B-24. Certain other fighters, like the zeke were the queen of the battlefield, whilst ever allied fighters tried to mix it in a turning fight.

The best fighter against USN planes is probably the George I think

I saw that claim on Wikipedia that the Ki-43 shot down more Allied planes than any other Japanese plane, but it didn't have any attribution listed. Unless the Ki-43 shot down a bunch of Chinese aircraft, I would be surprised if the claim is true if only because there were far more A6M Zeros produced. Just under 6,000 Ki-43 were produced versus almost 11,000 A6M.
I don't believe there were thousands (or even high hundreds) of Chinese planes to shoot down. And the Americans, British commonwealth and Dutch also didn't have several thousand aircraft in theater in 1941/42. While numbers certainly went up near the end of 1942 the quality of the Allied planes and pilots was also going up.

what bothers me about this whole "success" story is that the production of the Ki 43 seems to be as follows.

1941..........157 planes
1942..........616 planes
1943........1546 planes
1944........2801planes
1945.........748 planes

given the quality of the Japanese pilots in 1944/45 and the quality of the Allied pilots in 1944/45 one would assume (with all the risk that entails) that most of these thousands of victories scored by the Ki 43 were in 1942-43 or about 40% of the production. I am sure that the Ki 43 did shoot down some allied planes in 1944-45 but is glory days were over.

Unfortunately it is not the most well documented or proven aircraft but I imagine the Japanese A7M Reppu "Sam" would've been a one of the best fighters against US aircraft if it had been fully realized before the end of the war. It appears it suffered from the lack of a good powerplant to push the design along as intended and would also have suffered in it's effectiveness at the hands of Japans extreme pilot losses towards the end of the war. I am also partial to it because I share it's allied codename. What are your opinions on it?

I went with the George. I read the George was built to take on Hellcats. It was a good dog fighter and built rugged. Saburo Sakai
flew them a few times, they can't be bad! To me it looks like a P-47 with a buble canopy that's framed. John

I voted Ki-84, but I almost voted Ki-43 Oscar since it did obtain air supremacy for the IJAAF over China, Malaya and DEI. Plus the Oscar is the only Japanese fighter I've actually seen in person, at Seattle's Museum of Flight.

Unfortunately it is not the most well documented or proven aircraft but I imagine the Japanese A7M Reppu "Sam" would've been a one of the best fighters against US aircraft if it had been fully realized before the end of the war. It appears it suffered from the lack of a good powerplant to push the design along as intended and would also have suffered in it's effectiveness at the hands of Japans extreme pilot losses towards the end of the war. I am also partial to it because I share it's allied codename. What are your opinions on it?

If anyone is interested, I have posted two photoshopped images of A7Ms in this thread Drake's Drum

On paper the Ki-84 looks the best but it was not considered to turn better than a Mustang by Japanese pilots, the Nakajima designer of the Ki-84 was proud of designing the controls "heavy" so it could not over-control at high speeds, as this had been a cause of break-ups in the Ki-43, but this G limited its high speed maneouverability also.

The N1K2-J has a great reputation and was rated by British test pilot Eric Brown, but I have recently read Japanese accounts that they had some high speed dive failures at only mid 400mph levels! Also the N1K2-J did NOT have rear seat armour according to Japanese wiki!

This only leaves the Ki-100, and although a bit slower max speed, its climb and turn rate is superiour to the others, has good pilot armour and it has very strong dive characteristics and could dive with Mustangs. Good Japanese Ki-100 pilots said they had no fear of P-51's, and F6F and F4U were no problem (sic).

So Ki-100 and it could be made for carriers also :)

I say the Ki-84 was the best. It was the fastest, was quite well armed, and had armor. It's similarity to the Ki-43 and Ki-44 probably also helped production and pilot conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back