Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Me-163

• Yokosuka Ohka

• P-80

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're just a fan of bombers really aren't you? When i first got into aircraft when i was about 8 or 9 years old my dad bought me a book about the Vickers Wellington (i was too young to appreciate any of the info on it but i loved the pictures) I was totally hooked after that - but i still have a big soft spot for good ol' 'Wimpy'

was that comment aimed at me?

in that case, yes i do like bombers the most, theyre far more interesting than fighters etc 8) yeah i like the "wimpy" as you call it too 8)

In 1944 the army began gunnery trials in Nevada with the Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star, a combat aircraft that promised to revolutionize warfare.
The P-80 was the first fully operational jet in the U.S.--an innovation already familiar to German and British scientists.
The U.S. rushed four P-80s to Europe, two each to England and Italy.
They were hours from entering combat when World War II ended.

That's the story, so GregP you were partially correct in saying that they were deployed to Italy.

Surprising that the 'Shooting star' isn't widely publicised...i've seen a few books on the subject of Jets during and after WW2 and i must say i've never heard of the P-80 before (not saying i don't beleive you)

There were quite a few planes that missed the war by a few days - the Japanese heavy interceptor fighter 'Magnificent Lightning' missed the war by 12 days exactly....now thats frightening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back