Best looking WW2 fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Of course, the P-47 weren't no slouch, either.
P-47N-1sm.jpg
P-47DFormation-1sm.jpg

Attachments

• P-47DFormation-1sm.jpg
    P-47DFormation-1sm.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 40
Cannot tell a lie, I love those French hotel pre-dreadnoughts as well. Perhaps we should form a support group?
I no naval architect but they look more like a tornado in a scrap yard than a warship.

How any human being can design such a thing has to be a crime against good taste. Although the steampunk nature has given them retro chic.

The Spitfire Mk I is everything I love in design. Elegant and clean and wonderfully sleek and proportioned. Looks ballerina like and light on its feet.

Inho, the p47 is unique in appearance in that from some angles it looks quite graceful albiet large and from others well.......fat and clunky( technical aerodynamics terms:)). Yes all aircraft have there " good side" but none so much as the Thunderbolt.

When the Germans first encountered the Jug they must have known their air war was lost. Just look at that beast.

There is a story that a Luftwaffe officer visited Willy Messerschmidt in 1941 and said they were pleased with the BF-109 but wanted an airplane with more range and more power. Willy, no doubt still smarting from the BF-110's performance in the BoB angrily replied, "You can have a fighter plane or you can have a barn door!"

Three years later Willy and that same officer were on board a train and had to get out and dive for the ditch when P-47's attacked the train. Looking up at those powerful fighter bombers strafing deep in enemy territory, the Luftwaffe officer said, "Well, there are your barn doors!"

I favor the D model Mustangs, but will concede the Spitfire IX is special, too. For no particular reasons, I've never favored a radial-engined plane. They just don't do it for me.

Inho, the p47 is unique in appearance in that from some angles it looks quite graceful albiet large and from others well.......fat and clunky( technical aerodynamics terms:)). Yes all aircraft have there " good side" but none so much as the Thunderbolt.

My uncle was at both Wright-Pat and Muroc in the late war/early post war era, I got this shot of the very rare P-47H from his collection...

P-47H.png

Trying to decide on the best looking piston fighter is really tough, since there were several. Jets on the other hand, is easy: the He280.
Sleek design with a touch of art deco (30's styling) makes it sexy as hell.

For twin engined ships (light bomber, heavy fighter), I'd have to lean toward the KI-45.

For heavy bombers, it's a tie between the B-29 and the Me264.

Would agree that the G is the best looking of the 109s. I have heard/ read alot of people say they find them un attractive because of the bulges etc. But ive always thought they were by far the best looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back