Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Corsair

• ME110

• JU88

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
The black P-38 with the radar under the chin is a P-38M, a direct conversion from a P-38L-5. I have read of two P-38s in the PTO having radar installed in a modified drop tank and seen a picture of another P-38 with a radar fitted in the nose with YAGI-style antenas projecting from the sides. The P-70 was junk which is why the mechanics in the PTO started field modifying P-38s in the first place.

:) LG thanks. I did not think the P-70 junk but it was a stop gap thing. The PTO also saw the F6F as a very good night fighter as I have been reading.

I am still bothered with why the US was so far off the pace in addopting and developing nightfighters? ;)

MP-Willow, there were not enough Mossies and Beu's to go round even in the Med in 1943. When the assault on fortress Europe evolved the US forces had to do something quick and that was get as many P-61's into flight. although tested somewhat against the approacing V-1's the crews and a/c had not had the chance to prove themselves over Europe and in the ensuing battles it was proven that the P-61 in the ETO could not handle the multi-night missions perfoprmed by units like the 422nd and 425th nfs that had abundant crews. in fact in late 44 and into 45 there were sometimes 3-4 different crews flying the same P-61 on nightie-missions. The poor P-61A's were almost flown to a wreck before some B's variants came on board. this was always a complaint of the 3 ETO squadrons that there was never enough equipment to do the job.......

The F6Fs did very well and so did the F4Us. They Army actually asked that they be assigned control of some of the Navy night-fighter squadrons since they were having more success that the P-61s.

Thanks all. LG I really like that Picture of the Lighting!

With the poor P-61 in great need of help was there any reason why the production could not be amped up? Say slow production of the P-40 and get the Black Widow into the numbers it needs. But please remember the P-61 was the first try at a night fighter from the start. Now the F7F was much better, shame it was on the carrier sailing to fight when the war ended. :)

Grumman F7F-3 Tigercat

Type: Fighter
Crew: 1, Pilot
Armament: four 20mm cannon, four .50 cal machine guns, optional torpedo, 1000 lbs. bombs

Specifications
Length: 45' 4" (13.82 m)
Height: 16' 7" (5.5 m)
Wingspan: 51' 6" (1.68 m)
Wing area: 455 sq. ft (42.27 sq. m)
Empty Weight: 16270 lbs (7378 kg)
Gross Weight: 25720 lbs

Propulsion
No. of Engines: 2
Powerplant: Pratt Whitney R-2800-34W
Horsepower: 2100 hp each

Performance
Range: 1200 miles (1932 km)
Cruise Speed: 222 mph (357 km/hr)
Max Speed: 435 mph (700 km/hr)
Climb: 4530 ft/min (1380.68 m/min)
Ceiling: 40700 ft (12405 m)

LG I thought the Tigercat could carry 2,000lbs of bombs? I will look it back up.

It was a good plane used in Korea, but it would have been a great help in the Marine landings in 1956 on Japan. 8)

The Tigercat could carry considerable more. I believe that is supposed to be 1000lbs bombs not 1,000 lbs of bombs.

Reasons for the Mossie would include it performance, its availabity in numbers, and its success.

ah this was suppose to be fired at Stuka gents ! Durability ? ah not in a dog fight it wasn't. when hit it splintered to pieces when hit in the tail area.

have accts. of Me 262's hitting the Mossie at night and they just vaporized....... Eeeeeeeeeeeeek ................. :shock:

Erich, I don't think any aircraft could withstand four 30mm being fired into their rear. The Mosquito was durable, and it's even more amazing because it was wood.

If only US fighters used more cannon early

the only cannon they were interested in early on was the 37mm, nod great for dogfighting as we've established somewhere......................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back