Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Corsair

• ME110

• JU88

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mosquito was definetley the best night fighter for me, it was at least 100 mph faster than the Me-110 for example, and compared to the looks of the Me-110, Ju-88 and others it was a thing of beauty!

Attachments

• moquito04ml95l.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 907
the mosquito was a pretty good night fighter because the bottom part of the fuselage in one variant was painted black which would make it hard for enemy ack-ack to spot the planes
and the bf109 probably was the worst because it was paintes TOO black

So Dan you like the PTO? The night fighters were very good there as well. I still like the P-61 and yes Erich it was not the best but was on its way. But why are looks so important at night?

Why not the "Wispering Death."

the mosquito was a pretty good night fighter because the bottom part of the fuselage in one variant was painted black which would make it hard for enemy ack-ack to spot the planes

wow, painting a plane that flew at night black, if only they did that on all planes that flew at night...........................

It was found that any night fighter with black undersides could be seen from underneath at altitude. Stealth technology was not invented quite yet guyz.

the night sky was never purely balck as there was always some blue in it, the reason German nf's had an all blue underdies till 1945 when the German nf's were poised to do night ground attack. Then some a/c had a black undersides. The Bf 109 at first was painted black in 1941 as all 110's and Ju 88's, Do 17's and 217's were until a blue-grey base camo came into effect. Having an a/c at extrememly low altitude in black was not a bad idea as it could not be picked out at the horizon except for it's sound of the engines, and as I have said in a couple past threads the Bf 109G's did quite well agasint the Mossie LSNF and intruders, more so than the He 219 with only 12 kills, a couple of them debateable.......

Erich ~

Stealth technology was not invented quite yet guyz

not quite true, i take it you know about the british radar jamming?? the Piperack radar jaming system which was carried in a lead aircraft could hide an entire bomber stream in a "radar proof cone" behind it

The RAF and the Germans both window or Düppel. This did not totally keep the RAF halibags and Lancs from the german nf systems as the expereicned Bordfünkers on the German nf's could see through the Window and concentrate on the heaviest area of window which would indicate numerous bombers to intercept.

E ~

guys can you find the work by English author Alfred Price...... Instruments of Darkness.

it is a classic work although pretty old on the night air-war of the German RAF. have written Alfred several times but his inspiring ego prevents him from writing peons like me any word. and although I feel the man is a jerk his book on the radar systems is one of the best yet.........he should re-publish this.

>the night air war was of one blockage of radar to another and the steps to overcome them. The Germans never totally caught up with the Americans or RAF with the AI radar systems till much too late in the spring of 1945 with the Berlin 1a dish systems<

the Piperack radar jaming system which was carried in a lead aircraft could hide an entire bomber stream in a "radar proof cone" behind it

Lanc, are you talking about Window?

no i wasn't, Piperack was a system in which a lead aircraft carried a unit which blocked the garman radar getting into a "cone" behind it, window was a system in which lenghs of tin foil were dropped to confuse german radar...........................

yes I understand what you are saying but it did not work........the system you mention was not effective as wilde sau-seen with the eyes- was used from July 43 till war's end and when there was an overcomplication of window dropped even the younger more inexpereicned nf pilots could home onto the bomber stream. the best tactical advantage the RAF posed was the useage of the Mossie intruders especially over the German nf's airfields. have talked with many German nf aces and they were not that concerned with running into a Mossie nf in combat while dealing the death blows to the RAF 4 enigne jobs. in fact many aces have told me that they never ran into Mossies on any mission. so much for the myth that the Mossie was everywhere controlling the skies over the Reich !

weird eh ?

E ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread