Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Corsair

• ME110

• JU88

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep - the Blackwidow was good (blimey Viper we actually agreed on something! shame you've left now! :rolleyes: )

GermansRGeniuses said:
The Uhu was grossly underpowered
yea and im an albino pigmy monkey!
the thing was bloody faster than a Fw-190!!!!! how is it underpowered!??!! Two Engines=DRAG! TWO BIG ENGINES=MORE DRAG! Skinny Body=LITTLE DRAG! Skinny Body+2 1,900HP(!!!) Engines=Less Drag Than Mossie's smei-fat body+less powerful engines=FAST! even with 8(!!!!!) cannons of differing sizes, it hauled more ass than the mossie (and looked better too) dont mess with my Uhu M8! Two Mk108s(30mm) firing ahead from the wingroots, two of the same firing upwards ala Schrage Muzik, and two Mg151/20s(20mm) and two Mk103s(30mm) in the ventral tray firing forward! and it did 416mph! how can you call that underpowered?!?!??!?!? neither in gunpower NOR engine power!!

Reichsmarschall Batista

It did some damage
do you know why it only did SOME?!?!?! THE BLOODY LEADERS OF THE RLM DIDNT LIKE IT!! they preffered the slower and worse Junkers design so they delayed the bloody thing if they hadnt been stupid and reluctant many more lancs would have gone down! like i said, DONT MESS WIHT MY UHU!!!!

Reichsmarschall Batista

Bit touchy, eh mate :lol: ;)

Attachments

• he219_2.jpg
    he219_2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 2,114
  • he219-1.jpg
    he219-1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 2,112
thanks Piaggio108- I have liked the Pe.108 and thought it was not loved by the Italians or Germans, but that is for another post. As for Lanc, I think any RAF plane would be his favorite!

Just remember the black widow was the first USAAF design night figher! Most of the others we are talking about were daylight bombers that could not make it as daybombers any more!

The Mosquito was the most successful. It was first used operationally as a Nightfighter the night of 27 April 1942. It may not have had 30mm's poking out everywhere but it ground-down Luftwaffe Night Defence, both as NF and Bomber. After the War, Ernst Heinkel himself stated he wished he could have designed the Mosquito, and had a picture in his Boardroom of it. - To answer Kiwimac's suggestion of the most unusual Nightfighter, I feel the Fw189 was unique - UNDERpowered , and fitted with a light version of 'Schrage Muzik' , it did service in this role.

The HE 219 was almost the quintessential nightfighter, its big problem was that the RLM didn't like it! But then again they also didn't like the FW187 and HE280. At least they were consistent, I suppose.

FW189, fascinating machine!

Fw189-8.jpg

Fw189-2.jpg

(Germany)

This was an twin-boom tactical reconnaissance aircraft with an extensively glazed nacelle. The Fw 189 was a very effective aircraft, maneuverable and sturdy. A few were used as nightfighters. There was also a Fw 189C five-seat trainer (few built), and a Fw 189B anti-tank aircraft with a small armored nacelle (The Hs 129 was preferred). Total production was 864.

Type: Fw 189A-1
Function: reconnaissance

Year: 1940
Crew: 2
Engines: 2 * 347kW Argus AS 410A-1

Wing Span: 18.40m
Length: 12.03m
Height: 3.10m
Wing Area: 38m2

Empty Weight: 2805kg
Max.Weight: 3950kg

Speed: 335km/h

Ceiling: 7000m
Range: 670km

Armament: 4-6*mg7.92mm 4*b50kg

Source:http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~pettypi/elevon/gustin_military/db/ger/FW189UHU.html

Just one of those machines I really like. Sturdy as heck, could take a LOT of damage including Russian ram attacks, pleasure to fly, what more could you ask?

Kiwimac

Yeah , they were popular with their aircrew and nice and stable to fly- Out of so few made, there's a group I wrote to who are presently restoring one, their Secretary's email address is [email protected] - It was also called 'Owl', or ' Eule' as Kurt Tank christened it, but became 'Uhu' by it's crews. As a Nightfighter, it served with NJG 100, but it was basically 'the eye in the sky' reconnaissance work that it was designed for...

In my opinion there are very few planes from that era that are ugly. Some are rather amusing to look at, and some are downright outlandish, but hardly ever ugly.

That Heinkel biplane is the only one that comes to mind in the 'ugly' category

Try one of the B&V assymetrical aircraft for unusual looking!

BV 141

bv141logo.jpg

bv141b.gif

Technical Details

Type: Tactical Reconnaissance / Light Bomber

Engine:
(A) 960hp BMW 132N nine-cylinder radial
(B) 1,560hp BMW 801A 14-cylinder two-row radial

Dimensions:
Wing span:
(A) 15.44m
(B) 17.46m

Length:
(A) 9.96m
(B) 13.95m

Height:
(A) 4.10m
(B) 3.7 m

Weights:
Empty:
(A) 3,167kg
(B) 4,700kg

Loaded:
(A) 3,900kg
(B) 5,700kg

Performance:
Maximum Speed:
(A) 400 kph
(B) 438 kph

Range:
(A) 1,139km
(B) 1,900km

Service Ceiling:
10,000m

Armament:
Two fixed 7.92mm MG 17 forward firing machine guns
One manually aimed 7.92mm MG 15 mounted in the dorsal bubble
One manually aimed 7.92mm MG 15 mounted in the tailcone
Four 50kg (110lb.) bombs on the wing racks

And apparently it was a delight to fly! Go figure

Kiwimac

The P-61 Black Widow was the most under rated night fighter in WW-2. It had onboard radar and the firepower that the P-61 could deliver to it's target makes it the best night fighter hands down. The P-61 was a hard plane to handle and thats the reason most of them were destroyed after WW2 was over.

Nice info on the Fw189. I must say that I really like the twin boom designed aircraft. But as for the fighter, still the Black Widow. But it is hard to compair aircraft because they came into survice at different times.

I can't decide on best nightfighter, but that Fw189 was a rugged machine. They'd be rammed by those crazy Russians and carry on flying with only one boom and half the tail missing.

The HE 219 A7 model with the (6) 30 mm canons and (2) 20 mm canons was a very good night fighter But there were only 300 of the HE 219 series aircraft built during the entire war . There were 200 P-61 Black Widows built in 1944 followed by 450 more of the P-61 B models. After WW2 was over the leftover P-61's were modified into the F-15A series and flown until 1952. This was a outstanding aircraft and very few were sold to civilians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back