Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Corsair

• ME110

• JU88

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
from my files............a nice little comparision for all of you between the Bf 110G-4 and the Ju 88G-6.

time frame is April of 45 when the staffeln of the nf force was consolidated.

Bf 110G-4:

Stab, 1 ,4 and 7./NJG 1
Stab./NJG 4
Stab, 4 and 7./NJG 5, mixed.........
Stab and 7./NJG 6

Ju 88G-6:

Stab, I, II, and III./NJG 2
Stab, I. 7 and 10./NJG 3
Stab, I., 4 and 7./NJG 4
Stab, I., 4, 7, and 10./NJG 5
Stab, I., 4, and 10./NJG 6
I. and II./NJG 100
Nachtjagdstaffel Norwegen

tottles

E ~

rchristi why the Uhu ? given the reasons on other pages why this a/c was insufficient as a nf.

CC the Hs 129 was a ground attack a/c not a nf

Hmm, lets try to make a point. He 219 was a capable night fighter who suffered from misjudgments by senior members of the government and the Luftwaffe high command (Generalfeldmarschall Erhard Milch). Josef Kammhuber (General of the Night Fighters) was so impressed after he saw the prototype that he immediately ordered it into production over Milch's objections. On its very first use in combat Werner Streib flew the V9 and shot down five bombers in a single mission. On top of that it was the first aircraft equiped with an ejection seat, it was also the first aircraft with tricycle landing gear to achieve operational status with the Luftwaffe.
Maybe it wasn't the best but had the potential to become the best.

Cheers

As a side story, Milch repeatedly tried to have the He 219 program killed (for no reason I must say), and in the process Kammhuber was shoved from his office. He actualy stopped the production for a time, but luckly Milch was sacked and Albert Speer put he thing back into prodcution. Anyway it was already too late, till the end only 268 were produced.

Best regards

again like another poster you are stating what-ifs. maybe you and others need to seriously look as to what was built in numbers and used in succeding operations. True the poor little or should say too big Uhu was shoved into the trash, but it already had a crappy track record. There is some serious doubt that Werner shot down as many RAF a/c as is claimed. It was a poor choice to begin with as I stated without sufficient engine power, weak linings along the wing spars, no rear armament and no rear warning radar. Most crews in I./NJg 1 operating the machine were scared to death of the ejection seat config.......yes in another 1-2 years maybe the a/c could of been something but it would of been still in the trashbin as the Me 262 and variants plus new AR 234 nf's would of taken to the scene to chase-down all Allied bombers, fighters and you name it..........

two cents

There's my old rant about the Uhu and I still stand by it.

where the heck are you guyz getting some of this info from ? Suggest that all of you update your German a/c data as you are quoting old bloody news. I've got a lot of data over the last 35 years. The a/c was a slow mover off the landing field and was not as fast as hoped. The armament of the Shrag waffen was sometimes the 2cm and also not even fitted to many a/c. The wing guns were 2cm and the under tray was either 2cm and Mk 108 3cm. The 103's were never fitted.

He 219 underpowered? With two DB 603G (1900hp) He 219 was underpowered and Ju 88 G with 2 Jumo 212 (1880hp) was not... considering that these two planes had almost the same weights empty or loaded. And were not talking about "what if's" Uhu was first flown in '42. I agree that Ju 88 was the best multirole aircraft of WW2 and very succesufull as a nightfighter but I think it was a mistake on RLM behalf for not producing a dedicated nightfighter (be it He 219, Me 262 or Arado 234 - you choose) and leave the Ju 88 on his fast bomber role. Also I tend to agree that Me 262 could've been the perfect nightfighter but it appeared to late to count.

Best regards

Regarding the speed of Uhu, I have too many contradicting sources starting with the lowest of 585 km/h to the fastest of 670 km/h. Maybe the truth lies as usual in the middle, probably 620 km/h? Even so, more than enough for nightfighting.

Cheers

I will gladly accept your last statement. One thing is that the nose of the He 219 would have had to be thouroughly redisinged to take on the room for the AI as well as a larger compartment for the radar operator since there would of been the addtion of the tele-type printer used in spring of 45. A third crew-member would of been standard but the prototype of the version with the 3rd crewmemeber in the back of the fuselage stayed on the drawing board. The jets would of taken over for all the prop driven a/c in 1946, but we will rightly never know what may have been ........

what references rcristi ?

The Ju 88G-6 topped out at 400mph on occassion. this was as a result of a flat out 'get away' from the Mossie intruder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread