Best radial fighter of '42 (1 Viewer)

Poll removed

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You could also say the same about the Stringbag - and in fact you would be right there too

So ... why did these planes stay on the front line for so long (or at sea) ? :confused:

Also the CR42, which would have probably performed even better with a decent radio (or one at all?)

Comando Supremo: FIAT CR.42 Falco

... and then the Skyraider in Korea Nam - leading the A10 I believe

A-1 Skyraider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great aircraft when it first was designed but by 1942 it was rather outclassed. There were certainly better Radials in service by that time.

there too

So ... why did these planes stay on the front line for so long (or at sea) ? :confused:

The aircraft that I was talking about was not in font line service in 1942, so...

Just another offtopic not as well:

Cromwell please do me a favor and use the standard format for posting with quotes. Please write your post under the quote and not above it. Thanks

The aircraft that I was talking about was not in font line service in 1942, so...

Just another offtopic not as well:

Cromwell please do me a favor and use the standard format for posting with quotes. Please write your post under the quote and not above it. Thanks

Terribly sorry Old Boy

Will do my best to comply with your orders 'orders which must be obeyed without question'

YSo ... why did these planes stay on the front line for so long (or at sea) ? :confused:
A-1 Skyraider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
...the Skyraider in Korea Nam - leading the A10 I believe
I've heard, with the A-1 at least, that it had the ability to "loiter" over an area for a long time and we found that very useful during the Vietnam conflict.
Also, in the role of "Sandy", it could transport injured personnel faster than a Huey and work out of an "obscure" area, almost as easily.

Elvis

Is there some kind of problem? If there is, let it out of the bag now...

No problem at all. I only joke like this when I think I am amongst friends.

Do not take it personally - I mean really, it is not personal.

Note. If I had a real problem I would be Very Polite and cold as ice !

Last edited:
I've heard, with the A-1 at least, that it had the ability to "loiter" over an area for a long time and we found that very useful during the Vietnam conflict.
Also, in the role of "Sandy", it could transport injured personnel faster than a Huey and work out of an "obscure" area, almost as easily.

Elvis

What a Plane ! - I often wonder why they did not make a working Turbo update of the thing (I know they built a prototype but it was back in the day and was not a success).

I looked inside an ex Royal Navy example at Duxford and that fat old fuselage can take quite a few 'customers' - I think up to 4 or 5 stretchers or seated !

What's the best radial (with a radial engine) fighter of '42 and why?
Best in fighter vs fighter mission, only fighter actually fightning in '42.

for memory a list of radial fighters on '42, maybe incomplete. i exclude biplane.
P-35
P-36/Hawk 75
P-43
Vanguard (they flying 20 interception sorties in '42 with no claims)
Wildcat
Buffalo
IAR 80
La-5
Fw 190 (until A-4 variant)
Army Type 1 Fighter "Oscar" (I variant)
Army Type 2 Fighter "Tojo" (I variant)
Navy Type 0 Carrier Fighter "Zeke" (until model 32)
Reggiane Re.2000
Fiat G.50
Macchi M.C.200

add
I-16
CW-21
were also some "transition" fighters with radial:
Navy Type 96 Carrier Fighter "Claude"
Army Type 97 Fighter "Nate"
Fokker D XXI

At low altitude in fighter vs. fighter I will take the La-5, at medium altitude I will take the Fw-190 . The Tojo is a great climber but about 40 knots slower. Speed always trumps angles.

please some can explain me why the pics posted from Gatt aren't more in him reply?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back