Best Tank/Anti-tank gun (1 Viewer)

What 'side' does your chosen favourite belong to?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well I voted for Axis even though it is not a country. German made the best anti tank guns and my vote goes for the 88. Just look at what it did at Kesserine.

The 88mm Flak was the most versitile gun of the war and in the early years of WW II could easily deal with any tank with the exception of the KV-1c.

The Shermans were way too vulnerable. I knew a WW II Sherman crewman and he was still angry about the quality of the tank 30 years after the war. When his tank was hit, he was the only one of the crew who escaped.

The 88 was definitley the best alround fieldpiece of WW2 Adler I agree with you 100% the best anti tank weapon field piece the allies had was the 17 pounder as an anti tank gun it was nice and low so concealment was much easier than the 88 yet it had good hitting power.

Attachments

• arnhem1_505.jpg
    arnhem1_505.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 384
  • jerry88mm_909.jpg
    jerry88mm_909.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 377
Yes, DerAdler, but I doubt anyone will vote for anything Italian/Japanese? sorry.

I'd have to put the 17pdr ahead of the 88.

The 88 was eventually devoloped to make the Pak43 anti-tank gun:

http://www.german-soldiers.com/Bilder2/Normandie/pak43.jpg

This was hovever not too popular, the 75mm/L70 would have been better?

Also there was an L100 model 88mm.

Also the Pak44/L61 128mm proved it's woth in Berlin against T34's.

I think one was fitted to a Maus turret along with a 75mm/L70 co-axial!

- That would have made it worthwhile huh PlanD?

The best gun for pure penetration is probably the 32 pounder from the TOG Tortoise heavy tank, only 2 were made though IIRC (it was another AA gun conversion).

The Maus was too heavy to be effective. I know all the technical details of the Maus and I know what Hitler hoped for the Maus but the fact is, it was too heavy and clumsy to work. Hitler would have liked you schwarz, you're a fantasist like he was.

It's a dream, the thing would not work!

Even the Tiger tanks were too heavy to be effective. The engines at the time didn't provide enough power and both tanks were prone to breakdown. Even modern tanks like the M1A2 have problems due to weight. When they get stuck, they truly get stuck, and that isn't a good thing in the middle of a battle.

The Tiger's were perfectly capable of being effective. The mere fact that they were effective proves so.

Dac said:
Even the Tiger tanks were too heavy to be effective. The engines at the time didn't provide enough power and both tanks were prone to breakdown. Even modern tanks like the M1A2 have problems due to weight. When they get stuck, they truly get stuck, and that isn't a good thing in the middle of a battle.

There we go smoking crack again! :lol: :D The Tiger was one of the most effective tanks of WW2 and was proven again and again in battle.

Well if the Japs had had decent anti tank guns then maybe someone would vote for them.

Decent (75mm) but not great or in numbers.

Hitler would have liked you schwarz, you're a fantasist like he was.

Like he was?? :shock: No mate, I'd have a million ton Gerbil tank made! :lol:

It would be useful for Berlin etc, that's if it didn't fall into sewers!

The engines were faily decent on the Maus and I'm pretty sure the tracks had the highest % of the hulls width of any tank, ever!

The Tiger was a great tank, but flawed and usurped by the Panther/IS2.

I'm a fan of the KonigsTiger under certain situations though and given the choice, would probably take the KT.

Agreed Adler D I have spoken to a few guys who where in amoured units and they always said the Tiger was their most feared opponant by a mile.
The best they could hope to do with a 75mm shooter was too remove a track.

Not the biggest of targets is it Adler and I dont suppose the Jerry is going to sit there for too long letting you take careful aim :D
Speaking of aiming I have seen some real naff propergander clips showing tanks firing on the run WW2 tanks couldnt hit the side of a barn on the move but they look good on film firing as they advance.

Agreed Adler D I have spoken to a few guys who where in amoured units and they always said the Tiger was their most feared opponant by a mile.

Yeah, same here, not much said about the Panther though, seems odd that Tigers seemed more common??

Then again, the Panther was more vulnerable than the Tiger flank-wise.

And with a destroyed track any tank is lost and with that they could take out a Tiger.

The Tiger was probably at it's deadliest when stationary! :twisted:

Have you heard the 'command post 506(?) story DerAdler?

Not the biggest of targets is it Adler

Yes, actually, it is! :)

tanks firing on the run WW2 tanks couldnt hit the side of a barn on the move

The Tiger was bigger than a barn door! :lol:

schwarzpanzer said:
And with a destroyed track any tank is lost and with that they could take out a Tiger.

The Tiger was probably at it's deadliest when stationary! :twisted:

Yeah but not when it is dead in its tracks and cant go anywhere. Then you just pick it off. If a Tiger's Tracks were destroyed I dont care how good of a tank crew you were, you were dead, you had to get out of there.

A good point to remember is the Henschel suspension froze together, sticking the roadwheels together.

The Russians often attacked at dawn (the coldest time) so that the Panthers and Tigers would be sure to be immobile - very clever!

Also if the engine was gone on the Tiger, the turret was even harder to turn! (had to be done manually)

Some people say the Tiger was not suited for the purpose it was designed (breakthrough tank) but more as a mobile pill-box, firing from cover/camouflaged position.

I've tried finding 'command post 506' (what the Russians called it) on the 'net DerAdler, but no joy.

Anyway, it was an abandoned Tiger that was found by some Panzergrenadiers who hid in it as the Ruskies swept by.

Then they decided to attack infantry, tanks etc with it even though it was immobile!

It was hard to destroy, the Russians tried everything (incl swarms of tanks) until eventually flamethrowering it.

Yeah, they did end up getting burnt, but they took a hell of a lot with them!

Its knowing when to scarper really?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back