BEST TRAINER OF WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I believe the AT6 was the best advanced single engine trainer with no other aircraft even close but what was the best initial trainer . The stearman was great except it was limited by its lack of winter weather capability. Was the PT19 or DH82 the PT 22 the PT26 the PO2 an Arado or what about Italian or Japanese and how can this beauty not be mentioned

Attachments

• yale 2_1_5_1.jpg
    yale 2_1_5_1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 66
For German trainers I like the:

Primary
Ar-66
Ar-96
Bu-133 (still used privatly today, was continued to be built after the war)

Advanced
Hs-121
Hs-125
Bf-108

Ofcourse I still think the best are the:

Primary: Stearman
Advanced: T-6

The Stearman was a great aircraft but the fact it couldn't be used by the BCATP possibly the 2nd largest trainer of aircrew on the allied side is definately a drawback

Attachments

• IMG_0313_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0313_1_1.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 61
Asked the question of best trainer of a guy who was an instructer in WW2 flew the Neptune and Cp07 Argus and retired from the left seat of the 747 and he favoured the DH 82 as a primary trainer and his reasoning was that it was harder to fly then the Stearman but its lower performance gave the pilot the the oportunity to "learn how to fly " or make mistakes and survive . He further mentioned the transition from the DH82 to T6/Harvard was easier then the Stearman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back