Best WW2 plane for Ukraine today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Admiral Beez

Captain
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Going Total Recall here, but what WW2 aircraft would be useful in sizeable quantities in Ukraine's fight with Russia today? My immediate thought goes to the Douglas A-26 Invader.

cd01f4f4c636838fef843c03d828ae2d.jpg

what WW2 aircraft would be useful in sizeable quantities in Ukraine's fight with Russia today?

A few role-specific aircraft are required, but yes, a ground pounder is definitely one needed, with a battlefield interdiction and anti-armour strike capability. Ukraine needs a good point defence interceptor that is good at height and low level, or two different types. Russian strike aircraft have been operating at low and medium-to-high altitude, so these are a necessity. During the war there weren't specific SEAD types, but it's a requirement now owing to Russian mobile SAM units, the role would also cover disabling long range ground-based radars being used to track Ukrainian air activity. Airfield denial is also a requirement to prevent Russian activity at captured airports. Just for kicks, an anti-shipping strike aircraft as well, throw in a heavy multi-role platform like the Beaufighter, too. Photographic recon is essential, tactical and strategic.

If you wanna go beyond Ukrainian borders, how about some strategic air assets?

PO-2. Not joking. Are there 2 seat variants? Drone mother ship. Eye in the sky. Quiet for all kinds of mad cap antics. Fly 'em from car parks, fields, small fields. Yup, I'm good with a "Rosie the Rocketeer" or a Fiesler Storch. Don't need quite as much support as a MiG-29 or a Typhoon. Ukraine ain't getting air supremacy stuff which it really needs. Time to get creative.

PO-2. Not joking. Are there 2 seat variants? Drone mother ship. Eye in the sky. Quiet for all kinds of mad cap antics. Fly 'em from car parks, fields, small fields. Yup, I'm good with a "Rosie the Rocketeer" or a Fiesler Storch. Don't need quite as much support as a MiG-29 or a Typhoon. Ukraine ain't getting air supremacy stuff which it really needs. Time to get creative.
Po-2 was almost excxlusively two seaters - only some of VIP transport converted was single seater with enclosed aft cokpit for passangers

The U-2 was noisey as hell - that was part of the night harassment scheme.
Make noise, drop bombs out of the darkness and disappear, which kept the enemy from resting.

The U-2 was noisey as hell - that was part of the night harassment scheme.
Make noise, drop bombs out of the darkness and disappear, which kept the enemy from resting.
I thought I read somewhere about the Night Witches idling down their engines to sneak up on a position before attacking it.

I thought I read somewhere about the Night Witches idling down their engines to sneak up on a position before attacking it.
On approach, yes, but throttling up hard after dropping the bombs made for quite a bit of noise.
Also keep in mind that "washing machine Charlie" in Korea was the same Polikarpov U-2 type...

Are we including the required volume of spares? If so, the the Москітний.

Capable of operating from grass and dirt fields
Big enough to handle diverse and heavy ordnance
2-man crew for multi-mission capability - excluding the air-superiority mission, but including:
__long range strike with dumb bombs/rockets/cannon - or with guided weapons if modern electronics (including ECM) and weapons fits are allowed
__ground attack with dumb bombs/rockets/cannon - or with guided weapons if modern electronics (including ECM) and weapons fits are allowed
__fast enough to get away from the RF attack helicopters
__fast enough to catch RF attack helicopters
__relatively low radar signature
__twin-engine survivability

Otherwise, the Corsair or similarly capable single engine FB - allowing slightly less restrictive operating requirements, but with reduced multi-mission capability.

Clearly B-29's, bringing the terror as to where it got started
The rest in the Ukraine itself, handled by the Douglas A-26 Invaders and Mustangs, off course would be nice to see the Fw-190F-9 too and just for the
howling effect (scaring the living daylight out of those attacked) and weaponry the Ju 87G-1

But; what Russian aircraft's and especially AA units are these WW2 planes supposed to face? it was mentioned Russia/today - then it's not going to be a fruitful enterprise.

Regards
Jagdflieger

Last edited:
I think the thread is going for what WW II aircraft might be usable today for Ukraine, not what could take on the VKS directly. That's how I interpret it. The B-29 was part of the "measure/counter measure" development tree that lead to the high altitude no-man's land. There are a few prop planes from WW II that would be good for counter insurgency missions. Those, however, would probably be meat on the table for today's MANPADs and really can only be used in uncontested airspace. Ukraine needs a boatload of F-16s or F/A-18s. We know how Putin honors commitments so F-35's are out. Besides, no time to train air and ground crews. They have to think outside the box. Something like an ultra light. Sneak it in close to the bad guy lines, assemble in any of many wrecked structures and used in unconventional means. Lawn mower engines are far less maintenance heavy than a Merlin or an R-3350. I'll go out on a limb and say a lawn mower engine uses a bit less fuel than an Allison V-1710. I'm not an FAA licensed mechanic so I don't know for sure. Ukraine seems to be using unconventional tactics. Hence my idea of a "Rosie the Rocketeer".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back