Best WW2 plane for Ukraine today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Back in the early 80's, before I even joined the US Army and still hoped to get into the warrant flight program, I read an article in an army journal proposing to use small gyrocopters - like the one in Mad Max - that could just lift one Hellfire missile each. A forward unit could provide laser designation and the little gyros could come in from all directions essentially undetectable compared to full size attack helicopters. The idea in it was to provide air support cheaply for an insurgency. A GPMG like the PK or the M240 could be slung under the gyro easily as well.

I think the thread is going for what WW II aircraft might be usable today for Ukraine, not what could take on the VKS directly. That's how I interpret it. B-29 was part of the "measure/counter measure" development tree that lead to the high altitude no-man's land. There are a few prop planes from WW II that would be good for counter insurgency missions. Those, however, would probably be meat on the table for today's MANPADs and really can only be used in uncontested airspace. Ukraine needs a boatload of F-16s or F/A-18s. We know how Putin honors commitments so F-35's are out. Besides, no time to train air and ground crews. They have to think outside the box. Something like an ultra light. Sneak it in close to the bad guy lines, assemble in any of many wrecked structures and used in unconventional means. Lawn mower engines are far less maintenance heavy than a Merlin or an R-3350. I'll go out on a limb and say a lawn mower engine uses a bit less fuel than an Allison V-1710. I'm not an FAA licensed mechanic so I don't know for sure. Ukraine seems to be using unconventional tactics. Hence my idea of a "Rosie the Rocketeer".
In that case I would opt for a "Flying Tiger" wing taking hold of the A-10 - should be enough to make the Czar crawl back in his weekend-house and feed his horse.

Regards
Jagdflieger

So far, this war has seen more missile action than aircraft, so perhaps the V-2 might be appropiate?

With today's satellite system providing real time feedback, the aiming and strike verification would make them far more accurate than they were in WWII.
I don't think that hitting/targeting ones own country with V-2's is a viable solution - and hitting Russian territory with V-2's might just give the Czar what he wants,

Regards
Jagdflieger

But; what Russian aircraft's and especially AA units are these WW2 planes supposed to face? it was mentioned Russia/today - then it's not going to be a fruitful enterprise.
Up until February 2022 everyone feared the Russia army and the might of their modernized mechanized forces. Turns out the entire army was built upon a foundation of sand. I'm not going to assume their 21st century AA units are any better.

Up until February 2022 everyone feared the Russia army and the might of their modernized mechanized forces. Turns out the entire army was built upon a foundation of sand. I'm not going to assume their 21st century AA units are any better.
I for my part never believed in the hype generated about Russia's conventional military capability - always said at most they can move 5 well equipped divisions and the other 2-3 Putin
needs to guarantee his personal safety in Russia - the rest of the army is just on paper, and the Russian Air-force is even more of a paper tiger then the ground forces.

But modern AA units and man-pads, even Russian ones manned by second grade soldiers would reap havoc onto a WW2 equipped air-force.

Regards
Jagdflieger

I don't think that hitting/targeting ones own country with V-2's is a viable solution - and hitting Russian territory with V-2's might just give the Czar what he wants,

Regards
Jagdflieger
The Ukrainian Army is already hitting Russian targets with missiles including the Tochka.

How would the V-2 be any different?

The Ukrainian Army is already hitting Russian targets with missiles including the Tochka.

How would the V-2 be any different?
If we talk about the original weapon or system:
That a V-2 was inaccurate as hell - instead of hitting vehicles or military targets it would probably rather wipe out civilian occupied city blocks and nearby strawberry farms.:)

if you modernize a V-2 then whats the point? Thats like saying an A-26 with jet engines and laser-guided bombs - no?

Regards
Jagdflieger

Last edited:
That a V-2 was inaccurate as hell - instead of hitting vehicles or military targets it would probably rather wipe out civilian occupied city blocks and nearby strawberry farms.:)

Regards
Jagdflieger
The V-2 was accurate when the Germans had correct targeting information.

If you'll go back and read my original comment, you'll see that I mentioned real-time satellite information used for target correction.

During WWII, the Germans were given false target results, which kept the V-2's targeting from being accurate.

The V-2 was accurate when the Germans had correct targeting information.

If you'll go back and read my original comment, you'll see that I mentioned real-time satellite information used for target correction.

During WWII, the Germans were given false target results, which kept the V-2's targeting from being accurate.
IIRC the accuracy was theoretically around 500-800m - most of them missed their target by miles, the wrong target results were used by the British to make the Germans miss London central and to demoralize Hitler in regards to actually achieved hits.
Even the Pershing I unit I served in the Bundeswehr for some time was rated at 300-500m. *with a nuke warhead".

Regards
Jagdflieger

IIRC the accuracy was theoretically around 500-800m - most of them missed their target by miles, the wrong target results were used by the British to make the Germans miss London central and to demoralize Hitler in regards to actually achieved hits.
Even the Pershing I unit I served in the Bundeswehr for some time was rated at 300-500m. *with a nuke warhead".

Regards
Jagdflieger
Lots of pervasive myths about the V-2, it's inaccuracy being one of them.

To learn more about what the V-2 was actually capable of, read here:

Also, I'm going to think that if the V-2 were used today, there is a good chance that it's guidance system may be modern.

This thread is about WWII weapons being used in a current war setting. If we want to talk about accuracy and discounting a particular aircraft (or weapon system) on that basis, then the B-17, B-29, etc. must be ruled out, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back