Bf 109 variable pitch gearbox

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The curtiss prop is a totally different system altogether. The gearbox used on the Bf 109 uses a planetary system to change the sun gear to which it drives the gears on the prop hub and by way of worm gears turns the blades.
In the gearbox are planet gears, sun gear and what have you. At the back end of this gearbox is an input gear driven by an electric motor which in turn (this is what I'm trying to find out) drives the forward gear which operates the blades. I need to know the set up of the gearing so this blade change can be accomplished.

Ok - I misunderstood you, it seems you know how the system works, you're looking for specifics. In our tech library we have a Bf 109 tech manual (I don't know if it says much about the propeller. I know in most electric propellers the electric motor will drive a geared slider or piston which in turn is geared to the bottom of the propeller shank, which changes pitch. I don't think there was anything really unique in the 109E bot I have read BoB reports where Luftwaffe pilots did have troubles with the propeller.

Very cool - In actuality there are similarities to the Curtiss Electric Prop. On the Curtiss you have soliniods doing the work of the gear box on the front end of the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back