Bf 109F flaps?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

von hahn

Airman 1st Class
Aug 2, 2008
JNB
Hi All,

I have been trying to find out a little about the shape of the Bf 109F wing flaps, but with little success. I've got the Squadron "In Action" book on the Bf 109 which does have some photos but none are clear and I've even visited the South African Museum of Military History which has a Bf 109F, but the top surface of the wing flaps is not visible.

My main question is this:

Was there a 'lip' along the flap which was visible when the flaps were extended and which fitted flush with the wing when retracted? Or was there no 'lip'? I've circled this in the attached picture.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• flaps_Ink_LI.jpg
    flaps_Ink_LI.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 185
I'd say there was the lip. Taken from spare parts manual for the Bf 109F series, FWIW:

20202.jpg
20244.jpg

Note that the "lip" isn't really a lip as portrayed in the original photo of the flap sections, in the first post.
There is a virtually smooth transition from the forward, curved, hinge-line section, onto the 'flat', wing surface section, which is as good as flush.
Not really a "lip" at all, just a riveted joint.

I don't think so Tomo, it appears to be as flush as it possibly can be, riveted along the joint of the 'tubular' section, and it's possible that the joint is even 'puttied', to aid the smooth, flush transition from curve to flat.
I can't see even the tiniest 'shadow line' that would indicate that the 'flat' sheet of the flap surface is raised above the line of the curve by even a couple of mm.

Thanks both of you for your replies.

It does look like a very flush transition from the panel to the curved leading edge of the flap, and aerodynamically this makes sense, as a lip would disturb airflow.

It's interesting that even very good model manufacturers like Eduard, whose Brassin flaps I used as an illustration in my original post, include quite a substantial lip, yet the evidence suggests that this was almost flush.

The Planes of Fame has a Hispano Ha-1112 Biuchon (same as Bf 109G-2, firewall back) and a Bf-190G-6. Both flaps fit flush, and there is "overlap" of sheet metal, but not a formed lip. When retracted, the flaps are flush. The little "lip" is from the thickness of the sheet metal, as in the pic above.

The "lip" is the thickness of the sheet metal ... probably around 0.040 inches or so.

I started the restoration maybe 8 - 9 years ago with "Pat," and am seriously looking forward to seeing it FLY. I already KNOW the engine runs and the gear / flaps retract and extend just fine. But flight is the goal, and FOR the coming airshow in 2018 (around the last week or so of May or the 1st weel of June). We'll see, wont' we?

Last edited:
Greg has explained it very well.
The reason that kits and AM parts have the lip is simply because of the thickness of the plastic in the molding of the wing. It allows the surface of the flap to appear flush with the surface of the wing, as on the real thing.

That flap, and the lower one, have a very complicated actuation system allowing the two to open rather like a butterfly's wings, whilst the lower flap is interconnected with the landing flap. It's why we see them in all sorts of positions on parked aircraft.

109F-G-K Radiator Flap Systems

Cheers

Steve

Edit:
Tomo's post got me flicking through the 'ersatzteil-liste'. Here is a close up of the flaps.

flaps.jpg

#14 is labelled 'obere klappe' or upper flap, #18 is obviously the lower flap (untere klappe).

I think any significant lip would have been indicated here.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
I'll get pics of the radiator door area flaps next Saturday at the Museum and post this coming weekend. It looks kind of hokey, but seems to work just fine. It looks like it was thrown together and, upon further reflection, there really wasn't a compelling reason to change it becasue the initial "quick and dirty" mechanism worked great.

Thanks guys!

I'm specifically referring to the conventional wing flaps (not the upper part of the radiator flaps), but honestly any diagrams are welcome!

Here, sorry again the radiator flaps, but maybe interesting.

Attachments

• Bf109F_ja_G_Radiators_with_and_without_boundary_Layer_channel.jpg
    Bf109F_ja_G_Radiators_with_and_without_boundary_Layer_channel.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,517
Thanks everybody! I really appreciate the photos and the information!

It definitely seems that the 'lip' on the flap was just as deep as edge of the aircraft's aluminium skin and not nearly as deep as Eduard has made it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back