BF 109F vs G in external differences ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mike.45

Recruit
Jan 27, 2013
Dear all,

I am making a 1/32 Revel 109G but also want to make an F but cant find one that is in 1/32 scale and is of a high quality so was wondering if I can simply buy another G and convert it into an F.

Clearly the gun bulges need to be removed, but are there any more really significant external details that I need to modify ?

Thanks

Mike

You might start with early Gustav (G-1 'till G-5), those were still featuring LMGs instead HMGs and retractable tailwheel (at least G-1 and G-2).

Yep it would be easier to get the F variant using the G-2 type. I would suggest the Trumpeter 1/32 kit.

The outer details for correction.... the port side of the fuselage - removing of the accessing hatch at the tail wheel section. Also adding there two fuselage stiffeners especially for the F-2 variant. Removing of small scoops from the front of the fuselage , one below the oil filler gap the second one on the engine cowling. Removing the fuel filler gap from the top of the fuselage behind the cockpit conopy and engraving a new one on the fus side below the cockpit hood. Replacing of the Fo 870 enlarged oil cooler with the early smaller one. Unless it is going to be the Bf 109 F-4/Z or F-4/Z trop.
... the starboard side .... removing of small scoops from the front of the fuselage both just behind the spinner and the engine cowling. Repositioning of the slot for the handle crank for "cold" engine start. Adding of the external fuselage reinforcement at the tail section of the fuselage like for the port side.
The cocpit conopy ... replacing the windscreen with the external armour glass but it depends on the variant and adding small triangle windows below side glasses of the windscreen. There may be a need of changing the main air intake on the port side of the engine cowling depnding on a factory. The same is with the prop. The wings can be left without any changings unless there are small bulges at the wheel bays areas that have to be removed for F type. If there are these blisters I would check on the undercarriage becasue these were introduced with larger in diameter wheels as momo serves.

It would be all for a such brief description ...

Last edited:
The funny thing about that Revell Me 109G kit is that it started life as a Me 109F IIRC. Folks have complained about its inaccuracies as a Gustav but since you are building a Friedrich, it is to your advantage. You might want to look for the versions that were issued as a 109F and see what the differences are.

The Revell kit has MG bulges that are add on pieces, so removing the Beule isn't really a problem. I believe the wheels that come with the kit are actually the correct ones for the F and early G models.

Besides the little triangular windows at the front of the canopy area, the canopy frames are thinner on the F model and if they had an armoured windscreen, it was tipically external. Also, you might want to look at the openings for the Main Gear. I forget if the kit comes with the round or flattened openings. Typical 109F also had a retractable tail wheel as did the early G model.

That's all I can remember offhand and although I know there are panel line differences, I can't remember where they are. I still really like that old Revell kit. It brings back lots of memories. I actually have at least one in storage in the basement.

Good Luck!
- Ivan.

Dear all,

I am making a 1/32 Revel 109G but also want to make an F but cant find one that is in 1/32 scale and is of a high quality
Thanks

Mike

I'd start with one of the Hasegawa 1/32 Bf 109 Fs and alter that to suit. It would be a lot less work.

Cheers

Steve

I'd start with one of the Hasegawa 1/32 Bf 109 Fs and alter that to suit. It would be a lot less work.

Cheers

Steve

Eg: HAS08221 1:32 Hasegawa Bf 109F-4 Trop 'Priller' #8221

has08221.gif

HAS08228 1:32 Hasegawa Bf 109F-4/B JABO

has08228.gif

Ivan, the old (early 1970's) Revell '109G was indeed their 'F', with added parts, and was very inaccurate. However, Revell AG have recently released a very nice, accurate, '109G-6 which can be built as early or late versions ('conventional' fin/higher, wooden fin), and vastly different to the old kit.

Still using that BS /B designation that was already dropped with the E-7

That's Hasegawa for you. I was recently given a 1/72 Lancaster to build (as PO-V of No. 467 Sqn.) and they got the serial number wrong. They also ignored the fact that this squadron was an RAAF squadron :)

The moral of the story is never trust the manufacturer's research over your own!

Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back