BF 109G-14/-14AS/-10 canopy handles

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

von hahn

Airman 1st Class
Aug 2, 2008
JNB
Hello.
I was wondering, were there different styles of canopy opening handles on Bf-109G models equipped with the 'Erla' canopy?

I'd be most grateful if anyone has any info or diagrams, particularly of the entire mechanism that was used to open and close the canopy.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20240903_193147.jpg
    IMG_20240903_193147.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240903_193110.jpg
    IMG_20240903_193110.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 5
Oh yes!
There are different versions of the Erla Haube. You can see that your pics show one with the adapter/jettison frame on the rear closure and the G-10 without the frame!
But, Don't ask me! I'm Engines!!

Eng

Hello.
I was wondering, were there different styles of canopy opening handles on Bf-109G models equipped with the 'Erla' canopy?

I'd be most grateful if anyone has any info or diagrams, particularly of the entire mechanism that was used to open and close the canopy.

Thanks!
You can probably see on your photos that the radio mast is either on the fuselage, behind the canopy or on the canopy itself. If the mast is in the old position this is a replacement canopy added to older G-6 or G-14 and matching the frame of the old canopy. The "Erla-haube" with the mast on it is the original one, used on new planes.
Check this forum and post - it might answer your questions (scroll down to the middle of the page):
I also have the following description of the different types:

View: https://imgur.com/1HlSnjq

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help!

Here is a video of Bf-109G-14 with the antennae mounted on the canopy. The wire for the antennae is connected to the canopy handle. When the canopy handle is latched closed it pulls the wire taught. I believe the aircraft with the antennae mounted on the rear fuselage use the smaller canopy handle.

You can see the wire go slack at the 7:34 mark in this video when he opens the canopy handle.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIXM1QkYlPw

1725460157402.jpeg

1725460177208.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back