Bf110F

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tkaniuka

Airman
Dec 11, 2015
I am having trouble sorting this out. The F had an engine upgrade and according to squadron signal no 30 the only external difference was the ventral air intake. But pictures abound with F models that seem to have the DB 605 style spinner and nacelle. There were only about 600 F's made so across the four models there had to be few and far between of each, hence the lack/confusion in pictures? Any help would be appreciated. Oh, some say the F has Fug 202 BC can't find pictures, would assume that these were the series introduction of the fug 202 on the bf110's so very few would pictures exist. Or were the bf110 F4's equipped with db 605's? I also read that the F4 had larger tail fins that were used on the g's. Why? Only reason I could consider would be either larger engines/different props or the radar increased crew to 3 members. Help!!!! I am really confused... Any F manuals out there too?

As memo serves the Bf 110F was powered by the DB-601F engines. The DB-605 was used for the G variant. Because the two engines were of almost the same dimensions the G "inherited" the engine nacelles and the spinners used with the F version. So if you want to compare the Bf110 engine nacelles and cowlings you have to have a look at the C,D and E sub-types but not the G variant. The closest one to the Bf 110F was the Bf 110E. No wonder, the F was going to be the E successor. The F variant got the redesignated engine cowlings/nacelles and more streamlined spinners. The difference from the ealier sub-types were also the oil radiators that were made larger. However, the F got them from Bf 110E-2/trop. So these looked the same but differently from other E sub-types. To sume up .. the F wasn't powered by the DB-605 but the G variant. But because of the similar dimensions the Bf 110G had the same engine cowling and nacelles like the F.

Regarding the FuG 202 ... the Bf 110F-4 that was going to be the night fighter got the radar station. Also the kite was equipped with the navigation device APZ 5A.

Here is a stated picture of a F4, looks so as the fins are larger than the E's and it has the FuG 202 antenna. It also has the older style nacelles and spinners so it seems the squadron signal is correct that the F used the older nacelles with the redesigned air intake. Anyone else care to jump in - more the merrier!

Attachments

• Messerschmitt-Bf-110F4-Zerstorer-4.NJG1-G9+EM-undergoing-gun-testing-1942-01.jpg
    Messerschmitt-Bf-110F4-Zerstorer-4.NJG1-G9+EM-undergoing-gun-testing-1942-01.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 86
navigation device APZ 5A. what is that?

Here is a stated picture of a F4, looks so as the fins are larger than the E's and it has the FuG 202 antenna. It also has the older style nacelles and spinners so it seems the squadron signal is correct that the F used the older nacelles with the redesigned air intake. Anyone else care to jump in - more the merrier!

According to the Kagero book 23 for Bf 110 vol III it is the E-2 equipped with the FuG 202 radar but not the F-4. The letter "N" on the engine cowling denotes the DB 601N engine. The pic in the book was taken from another angle that the one above and the old blunt spinner can be noticed. I guess you downloaded the pic from the Asisbiz site. Unfortunately the captions there mislead quite often. For instance.. here is another shot of the same plane form the site. The caption says that's the Bf110D. Anyway, the blunt type spinner can be noticed better.

Messerschmitt-Bf-110D-Zerstorer-4.NJG1-G9+FM-with-FuG-202-Leeuwarden-1942-01.jpg

the source; Messerschmitt Bf 110D Zerstorer 4.NJG1 G9+FM with FuG 202 Leeuwarden 1942 01

The same picture can be found on a blogspot of our member Falkeeins . The shot there is of the caption Bf 110D-3 what is correct IMHO.
Bf110blackwithradar.jpg

the source: Bf 110 night-fighters of NJG 1, NJG 2, NJG 3, NJG 4 - early 'black' schemes for modellers - daily Ebay photo find #193. Post updated December 2016 Bf 110 C-6 30mm cannon

So, the F variant had the same nacelles and spinners as a G but retained the E style canopy. It also had larger verticals that the G used too. Do you know of any manuals that exsit for the F series? You have been very helpful, thanks for all of this.

So, the F variant had the same nacelles and spinners as a G but retained the E style canopy. It also had larger verticals that the G used too. Do you know of any manuals that exsit for the F series? You have been very helpful, thanks for all of this.

I'm not aware of "larger verticals" if you mean the vertical stabilizers. There were changes made to the rudder trim tabs with the E model introducing larger tabs that protruded beyond the trailing edge of the rudder. These were retained on the F and then some G models received larger rudder and tabs. However, the stabilizer proper remained unchanged throughout as far as I know.

Oh. one last question - does anyone know if the F4 was equipped with flame dampers like the g models were? I have seen some models with equipped with them just wanted to know before I get to far along...

The F had an engine upgrade and according to squadron signal no 30 the only external difference was the ventral air intake. But pictures abound with F models that seem to have the DB 605 style spinner and nacelle.

There is a real conflict with information with what engine cowling/spinner was used on Bf110F, some show the early style "E" with a larger radiator duct while others books show "G" style rounded cowling/spinner, my personal opinion is that Bf110F built before the factory shutdowns to produce the Me210 would have used the earlier "E" type.

With the failure of Me210 and reintroduction and improvement of Bf110 as "G" was when the rounded style cowling/spinner was developed, but this may be too logical!

110F used a larger prop so the spinner would likely be different/larger

I agree. What is more, the info about Bf110F with the engine cowling/spinner of the early style "E" with a larger radiator duct mentioned above, seems to be a result of the wrong identification of the aircraft sub-type. Most of them were the tropical E variant for the MTO with slightly modified engine cowling and enlarged oil radiators what resulted in re-designed air intakes and the different shape of their cowling. Actually the Revi book vol.1 for the Bf 110 says that there were two versions of the oil radiator cowling. The early one was larger ( deeper ) while the later was smaller ( more flat ).

Bf110E trop_MTO.jpg

Bf110E trop_NorthAfrica.jpg

Bf110E trop_NorthAfrica1941.jpg

Bf-110E3-North-Africa-03.jpg

Bf-110E3-North-Africa-04.jpg

the source: Luftwaffe Aircraft Of WWII | World War Photos

Ok, I need a little help, the bf110 control surface deflection specs, that is the angle of movement for the ailerons, elevators, and rudders along with surface area too. Thanks again for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back