Blue and White, or Black and White Stearman ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Convair

Recruit
Jun 1, 2015
Hi, please I have a question about the Stearman aircraft used for training (in U.S. Navy) during WWII. Because training airplanes sometimes did not have radios, when a sudden storm or other emergency arose, a "Recall" aircraft was launched. When a cadet saw the Recall airplane flying through the area, he knew he should return to the base immediately.

This Recall aircraft was painted in its entirety with dark stripes on a white background. As an example, the image below is from the website "The Aero Experience: Stearman Flight Clinic Provides Opportunity to Share an Aero Experience". It's a restored Stearman, painted with black and white stripes.

1.jpg

However, other sources say that in fact the stripes were Insignia blue and White, "according to the old U.S. Navy Recall flag, the origins of which date back to 1777". I searched the Internet, but I did not find this specific "Recall flag".

What are the correct colors for the Recall aircraft stripes, blue and white or black and white?

And, were there other planes besides the Stearman painted like that? Or just the Stearman?

Thanks in advance.

I like that. Wright Field had a warning aircraft as well but no where near as flashy.

Notice the message..."Clear Wright Field" not Return To Base. That P-47 was only flown when the Air Force was moving UFO materials into or out of Hangar 18.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back