BMW-801: build your fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One proposed version of the Do-335 had a pair of cowl mounted MG151/20 cannon.

They,with a MK 103 firing through the spinner,were the original planned standard armament for the Do 335.

Another two MK 103s in the wings were added later for the zerstorer version.

Steve

If Do-335 entered mass production it would probably happen during the summer of 1945. MG213 revolver cannon would enter production during the same time frame or shortly thereafter. I wonder if the MK103 cannon on Do-335 prototypes was an interim weapon until the revolver cannon became available?

I really have no idea about the MG 213. I've never seen it mentioned in any documents or minutes associated with the Do 335. As far as I can establish the MK 103 wasn't planned as an interim weapon,infact they never got it working properly before the end of the war.

Steve

The production Do 335 was get the mk 112 going thou the engine.The MG 213 was in production of 100 guns at the end of the war.

Last edited:
A fan is the down side of an aircooled engine. It is an automatic derating, just more HP out the window so to say. Amazing Harley Davidson can do it without a fan, even in desert temps, in slow traffic.

A fan is the down side of an aircooled engine. It is an automatic derating, just more HP out the window so to say. Amazing Harley Davidson can do it without a fan, even in desert temps, in slow traffic.

A Harley doesn't have a tight fitting aerodynamic fairing. VWs had cooling fans o their air cooled engines, as did Porsches.

The small amount of power lost by running the fan is more than compensated by the reduction of drag enabled by the fan allowing for a tighter fitting cowling.

The production Do 335 was get the mk 112 going thou the engine.

Where's that from? I've never seen it mentioned in any schedule or "Protokoll" and it wasn't installed or tested on any of the prototypes. The standard armament was intended to be as I stated above with the extra cannons in the wings for the proposed zerstorer.

Replacing a 30mm weapon with a 55mm weapon and all its accoutrements is not a simple task.

Steve

A Harley doesn't have a tight fitting aerodynamic fairing. VWs had cooling fans o their air cooled engines, as did Porsches.

The small amount of power lost by running the fan is more than compensated by the reduction of drag enabled by the fan allowing for a tighter fitting cowling.

Exactly. It's a trade off and for the Fw 190 the fan was demonstrably the best solution.

Steve

It is in the book German aircraft Guns ww1 to ww2.By Edward J Hoffschidtit is great book on German air guns.

The larger weapon was never intended to be standard armament. This always remained the two 20mm cowl mounted cannon and a MK 103 firing through the spinner.

The two seat trainer version would substitute two 15mm cannon for the 20mm cowl guns,as shown in production drawings.

The zerstorer version would supplement the standard armament with two MK 103s,one in each wing. This version was designated B-2 and there were discussions in mid 1944 (before a shot had been fired from a Do 335 mounted MK 103 !) about upgrading the centreline cannon to the 55mm MK 112 if and when it became available. I think this is where the confusion arises.

The zerstorer prototypes (M13 and M14) were both armed with the centreline MK 103 and there were problems with it. The first rounds were fired from a Do 335 (V9) mounted MK 103 on 29th July 1944 and the weapon kept jamming. This problem continued with the MK 103 mounted in another prototype (V5) after V9's undercarriage collapsed on landing (another ongoing problem never properly solved) and it was temporarily taken out of the program for repairs. The MK 103 installation in the Do 335 was not perfected before the end of the war.
Despite this the B series production was to have started with this weapon (MK 103).

Only 10 prototype MK 112s had been built by the end of the war and none were ever installed on a Do 335. Had the weapon become available I think it would have been tried in a zerstorer prototype with the intention of it becoming the centreline cannon on that version.Given the ongoing problems with the smaller version we'll never know if it would have been made to work. In any case I'm afraid that doesn't make it standard armament for the Do 335 and I would have to disagree with Hoffschidit if that is his contention.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back