BoB Aircraft (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

brain44

Recruit
Dec 5, 2006
Camas, WA
Hello, to all, I'm a new firumite with a request for your help. What bomber flew in the Battle of Britain and was made primarily of wood? The only a/c I can think of is the Mosquito, and it did not fly in BoB. Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian :x-mas:

What about The Blenheims? THey were the primary bombers at that time(also called RAF maids-of-all-work for thier varied roles)

saltlakespitfire,

I had thought of the Blenheim/Bolingbroke, but neither of them was wood construction. Thanks for your response, hopefully we can put this poser to rest soon!

Brian :santa:

There is the Hawker Horsley, which aparently was still flying in 1940

HAWKER HORSLEY - Two-seat bomber and, later, torpedo-bomber, originally to Specification 26/23, first flown spring 1925. Ten Mk I and 102 Mk II for RAF with 665 hp Rolls-Royce Condor IIIA engines, delivered 1926 to 1931. Six Mk Us to Greek Naval Air Service at Tatoi in December 1929, still in service 1940 but probably saw no action.

British Aircraft of World War II - HAWKER HORSLEY

h1598.jpg

Nothing of significance ayway. The main participants (i.e 95% of all sorties flown);

Spitfire,
Hurricane,
Blenheim,
Defiant,
Beaufighter (late but important for the night blitz)
Bf-109,
Bf-110,
JU-88,
Ju-87,
Do-17,
He-111.

were all metal monoque or (at least) semi monoque airframes.

and the swordfish wasn't wood either, none of the major players were wooden at this point.........

Sorry for displaying my ignorance on this point. :oops: And thanks for the stats Jabberwocky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back