Boeing B-29 Superfortress, a cup/can holder

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

WilkZ

Recruit
Jun 27, 2021
Atlanta Metro, GA
Hiya guys,

The thing is that I got a question on Superfortress interiors. Let me start speaking in a roundabout way: back in late 1940s the Soviets mass-produced a clone of B-29 designated Tu-4. Noteworthy that Stalin's 'duplicate the B-29' request was taken almost literally — as Russian Wikipedia says, '[Russian engineers] copied even a cup holders and ash trays in the dashboard, although Soviet pilots were strictly prohibited from smoking in flight'.

Well, I tried to check this fact — Tu-4 interiror indeed displays a bunch of ash trays of 1936 Ford design. On the other hand, I failed to locate any signs of cup/can holder withing pilots reach, so my question is had those ones ever existed on B-29s?

Appreciate your response!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya guys,

The thing is that I got a question on Superfortress interiors. Let me start speaking in a roundabout way: back in late 1940s the Soviets mass-produced a clone of B-29 designated Tu-4. Noteworthy that Stalin's 'duplicate the B-29' request was taken almost literally — as Russian Wikipedia says, '[Russian engineers] copied even a cup holders and ash trays in the dashboard, although Soviet pilots were strictly prohibited from smoking in flight'.

Well, I tried to check this fact — Tu-4 interiror indeed displays a bunch of ash trays of 1936 Ford design. On the other hand, I failed to locate any signs of cup/can holder withing pilots reach, so my question is had those ones ever existed on B-29s?

Appreciate your response!
The Tu-4 was not a complete carbon copy of the B-29. The engines weren't copied and I don't think the propellers were as well.

The Tu-4 was not a complete carbon copy of the B-29. The engines weren't copied and I don't think the propellers were as well.

Sure thing, you're completely right, but Russian Tu-4 related publications cover tons of anecdotes about it. 'Should we copy American IFF', 'red stars or white stars', ash trays and glass-holders in the cockpit and, of course, the infamous story of a mysterious tiny hole in the left wing.

The Soviets also transcribed the B-29's measurements into metric from Imperial measurements, and there were differences in standards the Soviets applied to aircraft construction that applied to all Soviet aircraft, such as material gauges etc. The guns were also Soviet-made, as were the engines, but the superchargers were copied and retrofitted to the engines, the ASh-73 being designated the TK for "Torbo-Kompressor" Pictures of the Tu-4's interiors are few and far between, but what was replicated was the logo in the centre pivot point on the steering wheels!

Photo I took years ago of the only surviving complete Tu-4 in Russia.

49729843656_c325a4c0f1_b.jpg
Tupolev Tu-4 B-4 Bull 001

There are two in China.

37627762621_5ba009d0fc_b.jpg
DSC_0548

The B-29 had a water jug and so needed cups. Consequently it had a cup holder. Initial location was attached to the Navigator's cabinet at the bulkhead behind him, and later it was attached to the turret well for the upper forward turret (the well sticks down into the radio operator/navigator part of the forward cabin). According to its engineering drawing, the cup holder was supplied by the Sierra Manufacturing Company at 610-630 S. Arroyo Parkway, Pasadena, CA. Google Maps shows that location is now occupied by a Trader Joe's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back