Brequet 691 693 695

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Post # 22 and 23 seem to show same Breguet 691 as #7 ... but a bit earlier (see rudder !).

And a QUIZZ ..... : post #22 clearly shows a very special similarity between Breguet 691/693 and P-38 Lighting... Do you see it?

Last edited:
Handed engines rotating propellers to the outside?

Yes. Propellers in counter-rotating twins (which was the case for all French aircraft in 1939) are generally supra-convergent, except for the Breguet 691/693. This was also the case with the Lockheed P-38. For the P-38, this improved tailplane efficiency and stability. For the 691/693, I don't know....

I read that they had them the other way around on the 38 initially and they couldn't get her off the ground until they changed it. True?

Never heard anything like this. I only saw reports saying reverse prop gave better stability and tailplane sensitivity, but worsened (as expected....) one-engine flying characteristics.

Here a picture showing XP-38. Props are supra-convergent on this peculiar plane....

Lockheed 22 XP-38 Lightning

And here crashed XP-38, after a record-breaking transcontinental flight attempt, 7h45 airborne... supra-convergent props.....

From left to right : Breguet 695 (Pratt & Whitney engines) , LeO 451 tailplane, Breguet 69x (can't see the engines...). Maybe a 695 too, rudders seem high.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

A frequent breakdown, the Breguet 693's magnesium landing gear was fragile

Users who are viewing this thread