C47: how to connect outer wings to center wing

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jarwha

Airman
Feb 6, 2018
Hi,
We are planning to connect the outer wings of our C47 to the center wing. For this we have to install appr. 200 bolts and nuts per wing.
From techn. papers I found out that we need AN4-7A bolts and MS20365-428C nuts + AN960C416 washers.
Is this correct?
What about alternatives?

Please advice

regards
Jan

If you are going to fly the C47 then you should use what is specified IMO.
If want to see a YouTube video of the wing installation, you can go to Plane Savers episode 137 to see them install the wings back on DTD.

Looks about right from memory

IF it is not going to fly use MS21042 nuts as that will make the job infinitely easier. In many locations the AN365 has limited clearance against the match angle which makes them hard to fit and tighten. The MS2104 has a reduced hex making turning it a breeze.

These nuts and bolts are easy to obtain from multiple sources. The MS nuts should cost under 25c each against about 10c for the AN nuts if you shop around.

I always lined up the lower bolts first because then you are not fighting wing dihedral so getting the first dozen bolts in is much easier. Using the proper slings helps but they may be hard to find and the drawings may also be hard to find. Mine unfortunately are long gone.

1563239402670.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back