Can anyone help with this ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looked up and there were 35 RAF installation around the Kent area during WW2. Of those 35, it looks like 31 were active with aircraft from the RAF, RN and USAAC.

I'd struggle to name any beyond Manston. Which others? I'm still leaning toward Manston, given my guess at the age of this panel (late-war/post-war).

EDIT: Ashford and Kingsnorth look to be the only other two.

Last edited:
I just ran a search using RAF installations near Kent England....Ended up with a Wiki page that listed all the RAF installations and then clicked on each one and browsed the presented history of each. A couple never dealt with aircraft, and a couple were closed to aircraft prior to the war. As it was from various wiki pages, I wouldn't consider it absolutely accurate, but enough to get an idea.

Sounds like Manston plus the two minor airfields above then.

I think other than Ashford (406th P-47s as I recall) the others have only a tenuous link at best. Even Manston doesn't really have a WW2 heritage other than being a major diversion airfield. Kent's USAAF/USAAC history is relatively minor, with only Ashford's registering during the war in terms of major involvement of active units. Manston's 9-year USAF period post-war is the most notable.

Anyway hopefully the original poster will be along to clarify and maybe supply some part numbers.

Hi
Am Kwai new to the group, I have a few things I was hoping someone out there could help with, the first one is this.
Long shot would anyone be able to identify this, I have no leads as this was found and given to myself, I have tried and tried but just cannot work this out, any help would be awesome.
thanks
View attachment 755971View attachment 755972
That is a LH centre-section panel off a harrier GR.1/3/T.2/4/8 (+ Sea Harrier similar but this one not likely to be SHAR) Part no E281894

Attachments

• Harrier-T8-Vol3A-Cover3 (1).jpg
    Harrier-T8-Vol3A-Cover3 (1).jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hi
Am Kwai new to the group, I have a few things I was hoping someone out there could help with, the first one is this.
Long shot would anyone be able to identify this, I have no leads as this was found and given to myself, I have tried and tried but just cannot work this out, any help would be awesome.
thanks
View attachment 755971View attachment 755972
The flip up panel with the single camloc is probably to connect the HISL / Grimes, but my memory is hazy on that. The raised part is the mount for the HISL or Grimes Anti-collision light (Grimes original HISL later). The cutout on the edge goes around the aerial mounted in the centre of the wing.

Last edited:
Not so: they've been all over the C-130 since Day 1. I doubt you'll find Camlocs on a UK aircraft. EDIT: according to Howmet's website, the brand has been in existence "more than 80 years", so WW2 is a possibility.
Camlocs used extensively on UK aircraft

Thanks P pb43 for clearing that one up before we all disappeared down a different rabbit hole. It is not an easily photographed location but I did find this photo on Airliners.net which shows it well, interesting how brown the dark green paint that it should have worn originally has gone.

Thanks P pb43 for clearing that one up before we all disappeared down a different rabbit hole. It is not an easily photographed location but I did find this photo on Airliners.net which shows it well, interesting how brown the dark green paint that it should have worn originally has gone.
What is strange is the interior paint. this should be Yellow Chromate primer ( on UK Harriers at any rate, unsure of Spanish or USMC ones)

My Ercoupe has Camlocks. ERCO went to Camlock versus Dzus cowl fasteners in the late 1940's.

I'd guess that oblong hole is where an exhaust pipe comes through. I had to cut one like that in my Ercoupe lower cowl for the new exhaust pipes. The color is odd.

That egg shaped plate is not a nav light mounting but an access panel for getting to something inside, like checking the oil.

Last edited:
My Ercoupe has Camlocks. ERCO went to Camlock versus Dzus cowl fasteners in the late 1940's.

I'd guess that oblong hole is where an exhaust pipe comes through. I had to cut one like that in my Ercoupe lower cowl for the new exhaust pipes. The color is odd.

That egg shaped plate is not a nav light mounting but an access panel for getting to something inside, like checking the oil.
Access to connect / dis-connect the HISL/Grimes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back