Can anyone please ID this plane?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sevan

Airman
Feb 19, 2020
I have this diecast model of a medium sized transporter type plane.

I would be very grateful if anyone could identify it for me?

Is that a Dutch flag on the tail??

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 6D978844-8870-4626-8011-8AD0C0FCEF64.jpeg
    6D978844-8870-4626-8011-8AD0C0FCEF64.jpeg
    439.2 KB · Views: 338
I believe it's this model:
139717-11200-pristine.jpg

Haven't seen a "Flamingo" manufactured by anybody else.
FYI the "flag" on the tails is the standard RAF fin flash: red-white-blue. Red is always facing front (both sides).

Awesome, thank you.

Is it a Diecast model then?

Wasn't sure if 'cast Resin' is a different category?

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, thank you.
Is it a Diecast model then?
Wasn't sure if 'cast Resin' is a different category?
No, resin is epoxy - type of cast solid plastic. It differs from the standard plastic models (made out of styrene or polystyrene), but it is still a "plastic model". The white metal parts mentioned on the box are probably wheels, propellers, exhaust pipes etc. smaller bits.

I agree with the post above. It is not the diecast category model. The diecast means it is already assembled and painted. In other words "ready to use" and it doesn't mattter what kind of the material the model was made of. The diecast models can be of metal wood etc...
The Magna Models kit is just like the plastic kits for assembling. But the basic parts are made of the epoxy while those other pieces are moulded of the white matal. Below a shot of the kit parts I found via the net.

flamingo.jpg

No, resin is epoxy - type of cast solid plastic. It differs from the standard plastic models (made out of styrene or polystyrene), but it is still a "plastic model". The white metal parts mentioned on the box are probably wheels, propellers, exhaust pipes etc. smaller bits.

Many many thanks

I agree with the post above. It is not the diecast category model. The diecast means it is already assembled and painted. In other words "ready to use" and it doesn't mattter what kind of the material the model was made of. The diecast models can be of metal wood etc...
The Magna Models kit is just like the plastic kits for assembling. But the basic parts are made of the epoxy while those other pieces are moulded of the white matal. Below a shot of the kit parts I found via the net.

View attachment 570469
Thank you

In other words "ready to use" and it doesn't mattter what kind of the material the model was made of. The diecast models can be of metal wood etc...
Well, on this side of the pond "diecast" is generally taken to mean cast as a liquid poured into a mold and hardened, whether metal or polymer, but not wood. I think most folks assume it implies a solid object, not pieces to fabricate a hollow one.
Cheers,
Wes

Well, on this side of the pond "diecast" is generally taken to mean cast as a liquid poured into a mold and hardened, whether metal or polymer, but not wood. I think most folks assume it implies a solid object, not pieces to fabricate a hollow one.
Cheers,
Wes
IMHO in the world of models "die-cast/diecast" is usually used to describe models made of metal. Coincidentally there is a diecast model (in fact a toy) of the above mentioned a/c too:
48291.jpg

The above photos are from here with an interesting The Meccano Magazine - article.

Gentlemen:
I tend to agree with XBe2 & Catch that "diecast" is interpreted as a material (not wood) that has been heated to a liquified state & poured into a mold either as a model or for various parts to be assembled by the builder/modeler into what might end up as a model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back