Can someone explain this heading?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

stona

Major
Mar 28, 2009
As in the title, the I.E. heading of the columns in this document.

BoB_Numbers.jpg

I should know this but have drawn a mental blank!

Don't know what I.E. stands for but it to be seems establishment strength; so I.... establishment?

Going by math only, it seems to state theoretical (ideal?) number of aircraft if each squadron has received it's authorized numbers? For example, 19 suadrons of Hurricane times 16 aircraft per squadron = 432 (10th July situation). Or, 28.5 squadrons times 20 A/C per squadron = 570?? (568 actually; 8th August situation; bigger squadrons?). And then back to 16 A/C per squadron?
Spitfire does not follow this - perhaps there is leeway for squadrons to start reforming from 16 to 20 A/C in August, and then back to 16 A/C?

'Ideal establishment'?

id est

i.e. is the abbreviation for the Latin phrase id est, meaning "that is." This abbreviation is used when you want to specify something mentioned previously; it can be used interchangeably with "specifically" or "namely." Here are some examples: "Only one city, i.e., London, has hosted the Summer Olympics three times."

Wiki.

id est

i.e. is the abbreviation for the Latin phrase id est, meaning "that is." This abbreviation is used when you want to specify something mentioned previously; it can be used interchangeably with "specifically" or "namely." Here are some examples: "Only one city, i.e., London, has hosted the Summer Olympics three times."

Wiki.

In the text at the bottom, there is an abbreviation "I.R.," which may be related; what would that mean? For that reason and because "that is" doesn't seem appropriate in this context, I don't think "I.E." means id est in the table header.
"In Establishment" seems more likely. Of course, figuring out specialized abbreviations long after the fact with no context except a table is fraught.

Does our OP have some more of this document to share?

[QUOTE="swampyankee, post: 1591786, member: 56136"
Does our OP have some more of this document to share?[/QUOTE]

Just this I'm afraid.
I do have some other similar tables for other Commands somewhere. I will dig them out later.
My money is on the 'E' standing for 'Establishment' as the table is obviously the numbers in various categories but what the 'I' stands for I have no idea. The fact that the number of serviceable aircraft often exceeds I.E. is confusing.

The 'R' must be for 'Reserve'.

I'll have some time this evening to try and find what the acronyms stand for...if nobody else figures it out first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back