Can someone identify my grandfather's plane?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ctleahy

Recruit
Sep 6, 2020
my grandfather flew this plane in bombing raids over Germany in WW2. Can anyone tell me what it is? Thanks!
20200905_160447.jpg

More likely a BT-14. I don't remember any of the BT-13's I played with, having that access panel in the filet fairing. Also, the cockpit side panel covers both cockpits....

American sunglasses, flight suit (A-4), flight jacket (B-6) and seat parachute (AN-6510-1), so USAAF, not RAF. His shoes are leather oxfords in russet color. Private purchase, or issue, for wear by officers (or aviation cadets in this case) with the service dress uniform, but very typical footwear.

my grandfather flew this plane in bombing raids over Germany in WW2. Can anyone tell me what it is? Thanks!View attachment 593951
What your grandfather is posing next to is most likely an advanced training aircraft of the type mentioned by the posters above (The Vultee BT-13 Valiant or the T-6 Texan/Harvard).

He would have gone on to fly either two engine or four engine bombers over Europe. North American B-25 Mitchell or Martin B-26 Marauder would be the twin engine types, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress or Consolidated B-24 Liberator would be the four engine types.

Do you have any other information you'd care to share about your grandfather? This is a great place to share as these guys can probably tell you a lot about groups he served in etc.

What your grandfather is posing next to is most likely an advanced training aircraft of the type mentioned by the posters above (The Vultee BT-13 Valiant or the T-6 Texan/Harvard).

He would have gone on to fly either two engine or four engine bombers over Europe. North American B-25 Mitchell or Martin B-26 Marauder would be the twin engine types, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress or Consolidated B-24 Liberator would be the four engine types.

Do you have any other information you'd care to share about your grandfather? This is a great place to share as these guys can probably tell you a lot about groups he served in etc.
Yes, what Peter said.
More information, if possible, would be helpful.

Elvis

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back