Canadian Air Cadet League and RCAF Flight Simulator

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jun 2, 2020
In November 1940 the Canadian government issued an order for the organization of Air Cadet Corps: Junior Air Cadet Corps for boys 12-14 and Senior Corps for those 15-18. Thus the Canadian Air Cadet League (CACL) came into being.

I believe the photos below show some cadets of the CACL Senior Corps aged 15 -18. Or are these Royal Canadian Air Force air crew training recruits? Hard to tell with adolescent males but these lads look quite young to me ie. under 18 years of age. The photo has written on back "CAF cadets visited Ottawa during war, received flights in RCAF aircraft". I guess the use of word "cadets" means they are just that.

Read on for correction to the above info.

RCAF photo of American Civil Air Patrol (CAP) Cadets visiting Ottawa for flights in RCAF aircraft:

RCAF CACL Cadets Board Hudson training CANADA 1940s-CS1.JPG

The other interesting pics are of recruits and instructors undergoing pilot training with the RCAF in a B-24 simulator with blacked out windows and what looks like a "generic" 4 engine aircraft simulator.

RCAF Air Crew Training simulator CANADA 1940s-CS3.JPG

RCAF Air Crew Training simulator CANADA 1940s-CS5.JPG

RCAF Air Crew Training simulator CANADA 1940s-CS7.JPG

RCAF Air Crew Training simulator CANADA 1940s-CS4.JPG

RCAF Air Crew Training simulator CANADA 1940s-CS6.JPG

Perhaps those with some WWII RCAF air training expertise might like to supply some details on this "generic" 4 engine aircraft simulator? I've not seen similar pics before.

James

Last edited:
Those don't look like Cdn Air Cadet or RCAF uniforms. I suspect that these photos are from the USA.

Thanks. But how would you account for the fact the top photo has acronym "RCAF" and "CAF cadets" written twice on back? Surely CAF = Canadian Air Force.

I guess the other simulator pics might be USAAF if you are right about the uniforms.

James

Last edited:
Thanks. But how would you account for the fact the top photo has acronym "CAF" including "CAF cadets" written twice on back? Surely CAF = Canadian Air Force.

James

No Canadian (or British Commonwealth citizen) would use CAF instead of RCAF. I suspect that CAF is some designation for USA air force cadets, maybe something like Civil Air Force.

Thanks. But how would you account for the fact the top photo has acronym "RCAF" and "CAF cadets" written twice on back? Surely CAF = Canadian Air Force.

James
the "Canadian Air Force" stopped being a thing in the 1920's, when it became the "Royal Canadian Air force". Those photos look to be late 1940's, or 1950's to me

Sorry, I edited the message after your reply.

The hand written notation on back of photo also says RCAF" as well. The eBay seller described the pics as from RCAF. But of course seller descriptions are often wrong.

When I look at other photos in that lot there are pics of a USAAF Captain in front of a B-25 and a B-24 with mission markings. So definitely USAAF except for the photo of cadets.

James

Sorry guys, Fubar is right I misread "CAP" for "CAF" although still has reference to "RCAF" and "Ottawa" which is Royal Canadian Air Force".

CAP hand written notation-TXT-CS1.JPG

Why would CAP cadets be flying in an RCAF aircraft is the next question? I guess they might have crossed the border for a training session with their CACL cadet counterparts.

James

Sorry guys, Fubar is right I misread "CAP" for "CAF" although still has reference to "RCAF" and "Ottawa" which is Royal Canadian Air Force".

View attachment 599071

Why would CAP cadets be flying in an RCAF aircraft is the next question? I guess they might have crossed the border for a training session with their CACL cadet counterparts.

James

Canada hosted the BCATP and had a massive flight crew training program during WW2. There were a number of specialized training programs (such as Radar) that US personnel also attended, and many RCAF and Commonwealth aircrew received some of their training in the USA as well. I suspect that cross-border 'good will' visits were common.

Interesting that the cadets seem to be wearing both chest and seat-type parachutes, an odd mix. Of the latter type, the aft-most cadet sems to have his fitted correctly, with the crotch straps in the correct orientation (otherwise ouch!). However, the chap front of him seeme to have ignored the crotch loop completely, which makes me wonder who supervised him... and what would have happened if he'd had to use it! My feeling is that this is a staged photograph and they never actually flew (I rather hope that this is the case, anyway!)

That's what I Thought. A cadet exchange trip with US and Canadian cadets. Regarding, back pack chutes, as CAP cadets in the 1950s on USAF transports, that is what we had to wear. We were thoroughly instructed on wear and use, first by senior cadets and then at the aircraft by the crew chief. On a C-119 flight returning from drill team competition 1956, one of the guys realized his "D" ring had excessive slack in the cord. In fact, so much that it was more than an arms' reach before any resistance was felt. It was reported to the crew chief, but as he was not happy being stuck with a bunch of kids (about 24 of us) the comment was "Stop fooling with the parachutes". We cadets decided if bailout was necessary, he would put his foot in it to deploy. At the end of the flight, landing after dark with no interior lights, we decided we could not let this chute stay in service without repacking. As the crew chief had been really abrupt with us during the flight, it was decided he should deploy the chute. Since he always went down the left side aisle between the seat rows, the D ring and slack was set as a trip wire and we exited from the other side. As we were boarding the buss, we could hear he discovered the chute.

That's what I Thought. A cadet exchange trip with US and Canadian cadets. Regarding, back pack chutes, as CAP cadets in the 1950s on USAF transports, that is what we had to wear. We were thoroughly instructed on wear and use, first by senior cadets and then at the aircraft by the crew chief. On a C-119 flight returning from drill team competition 1956, one of the guys realized his "D" ring had excessive slack in the cord. In fact, so much that it was more than an arms' reach before any resistance was felt. It was reported to the crew chief, but as he was not happy being stuck with a bunch of kids (about 24 of us) the comment was "Stop fooling with the parachutes". We cadets decided if bailout was necessary, he would put his foot in it to deploy. At the end of the flight, landing after dark with no interior lights, we decided we could not let this chute stay in service without repacking. As the crew chief had been really abrupt with us during the flight, it was decided he should deploy the chute. Since he always went down the left side aisle between the seat rows, the D ring and slack was set as a trip wire and we exited from the other side. As we were boarding the buss, we could hear he discovered the chute.

Great personal account. Thanks.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back