Canberra to fly again !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I saw WK163 on a few occasions when they brought it back to life the first time round. beautiful aircraft.

English Electric Canberra WK163 was the first aircraft in history to complete a transatlantic flight without refuelling, and once held the world altitude record.

Oooo, no it wasn't; it was Canberra B.2 WD932 on 21 February 1951. A year later, Canberra B.5 VX185 became the first aircraft to make a return crossing of the Atlantic in one day, on 26 August 1952, which warranted the nose art "The Record Breaking Canberra" to be painted on it. Here 'tis.

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/...sig090/VX185 Canb AWSG310 054_zpsirhu412v.jpg.

I saw WK163 on a few occasions when they brought it back to life the first time round. beautiful aircraft.

Oooo, no it wasn't; it was Canberra B.2 WD932 on 21 February 1951. A year later, Canberra B.5 VX185 became the first aircraft to make a return crossing of the Atlantic in one day, on 26 August 1952, which warranted the nose art "The Record Breaking Canberra" to be painted on it. Here 'tis.

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af35/canberra-sig/canberra-sig090/VX185 Canb AWSG310 054_zpsirhu412v.jpg.
Surely not, the BBC making a mistake :lol:

English Electric Canberra WK163 was the first aircraft in history to complete a transatlantic flight without refuelling

I have this mental picture of Brown clambering out on to the wing of a Canberra to chip ice from its carburettors.

Yep. I think, but not sure, it's operated by the same company who were also operating another Hunter T7 - not the one involved in the Shoreham accident.
I thought I'd also seen something about another Canberra being close to airworthy in the UK too, again a civvy - owned bird, but can't remember where it was, or where I saw the article.

A third one? That'd be neat to see; three Cranberries in flight again; although it wasn't all that long ago they were retired.

I have this mental picture of Brown clambering out on to the wing of a Canberra to chip ice from its carburettors.

:D He'd have to cling on pretty tightly! According to the books, VX185's average speed across both crossings was 412 mph.

Incredible as it may seem, a few years ago there was an intact Canberra abandoned at a local airport (MLB) and up for auction by the airport authority. Were that not strange enough, it was in Royal Navy markings. Also up for auction was a Jet Provost.
.The Valiant Air Command got the Canberra. Last time I looked, the Provost was still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back