Canberra to fly again !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I saw WK163 on a few occasions when they brought it back to life the first time round. beautiful aircraft.

English Electric Canberra WK163 was the first aircraft in history to complete a transatlantic flight without refuelling, and once held the world altitude record.

Oooo, no it wasn't; it was Canberra B.2 WD932 on 21 February 1951. A year later, Canberra B.5 VX185 became the first aircraft to make a return crossing of the Atlantic in one day, on 26 August 1952, which warranted the nose art "The Record Breaking Canberra" to be painted on it. Here 'tis.

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/...sig090/VX185 Canb AWSG310 054_zpsirhu412v.jpg.

Surely not, the BBC making a mistake

Yep. I think, but not sure, it's operated by the same company who were also operating another Hunter T7 - not the one involved in the Shoreham accident.
I thought I'd also seen something about another Canberra being close to airworthy in the UK too, again a civvy - owned bird, but can't remember where it was, or where I saw the article.

A third one? That'd be neat to see; three Cranberries in flight again; although it wasn't all that long ago they were retired.

I have this mental picture of Brown clambering out on to the wing of a Canberra to chip ice from its carburettors.

He'd have to cling on pretty tightly! According to the books, VX185's average speed across both crossings was 412 mph.

Incredible as it may seem, a few years ago there was an intact Canberra abandoned at a local airport (MLB) and up for auction by the airport authority. Were that not strange enough, it was in Royal Navy markings. Also up for auction was a Jet Provost.
.The Valiant Air Command got the Canberra. Last time I looked, the Provost was still there.

Users who are viewing this thread