Cartridge starters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have no idea who you're talking about so I'm sure I'm going to get the bad. Then again, if one's dead and the other is fat or skinny...both of us have got a bad deal, eh, FB?

trackend said:
Thanks for that info Fly and for the question Jug (I could be tempted to say Jug head But that would be very rude of me) :D
Is it right Fly that they are known as Kaufman starters? as that is what Jimmy Stewart referred to them in The Flight of the Phoenix

Nothing wrong with jug head :lol: I get the same thing around here!

Hi, Guys!
I find it impossible to find info about "Kaufman" starters.
It seems that the name of those cartridge starters was possibly "Coffman", spelled in the English manner. At WikiPedia.com, see the following article and follow two links. One link is to a scan of the 1938 issue of magazine "Flight", which gives another name, the American "Breeze" starter.
Coffman engine starter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What have you heard? Is this info fact or hoax? Coffman or Kaufman?
Or is this ultimately another case of confusion caused by Hollywood embellishing history? Somehow, a German name sounds more like cutting edge, revolutionary technology. It's much more dramatic for a movie hero to fire off his Kaufman cartridges, one by one! (Ach du lieber, und Himmel Donner Wetter! LOL!)

On Youtube, Bomberguy posted a video on the Grumman F3F and in it the pilot holds up the cartridge and inserts it before starting. Check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back