Compact presentation of flight test data

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

NeuralDream

Recruit
Jun 4, 2011
In view of the new dogfights miniature game that WoTC has announced I have started collecting flight test data for as many ww2 aircraft as possible, and I present them as cards, as compact as I can in the forumini. Let me know if you like them, find them useful, or if they are inaccurate etc. Your feedback is more than welcome.

GladiatorI.jpg
HurricaneI.jpg
SpitfireI.jpg
MS406.jpg
BF109E3.jpg
B-239.jpg
Hawk75A-6.jpg
F4F3.jpg
HurricaneIIC.jpg
BF109G2.jpg
F4F4.jpg
BF110G2.jpg
FW190A5.jpg
F6F3.jpg
BF110G4.jpg
F4U1.jpg
FM-2.jpg
SeafireFIII.jpg
Ki84Ia.jpg

I have to correct some false information about the Ki-84. The performance you've given is calculated by US Intelligence. No example was ever flown to those speeds. Those numbers show up in Mar 1945 TAIC supplement, before any examples were ever flown ( in June, I believe ). I have the T-2 Frank I manual and the fuel specified is 91/96 octane with the use of 50/50 water/alcohol ( the alcohol being 50/50 ethanol and methanol ). There was no use of any 140 octane fuel, as published by Aero Detail. There were no higher boost pressures used to test the engine than those specified by the Japanese. The unpainted version that was flown in the Philippines never used more than +250mm boost pressure and 2900 rpm because the engine had only run 8 hours. It never reached ts maximum speed due to problems with the propeller operation. Even so, they figured the top speed would be about 400 mph (644 km/h ) at 20000 ft and 330 mph at sea level with the model 21 engine ( less with the model 12 engine ), so the lack of paint is also not an explanation. A Japanese trial showed 634 km/h @ 6650 m using rated power ( +350 mm and 3000 rpm ). My own calculations for +500mm boost pressure gives 648 km/h @ 5700 m, which is in pretty close agreement with what intelligence figured in the Philippines.

I like to think I'm a Hurricane connoisseur so can help a bit with those ones.

The flaps could be set to any position within its range, not just two positions.
The Browning magazines held 338 rounds per gun, except for the no. 2's boxes, which held 328.

The supercharger in the Merlin XX was manually controlled, there was no automatic shift.
The Merlin XX also suffered from negative G cut-out.
IIc aircraft operating in Burma were modified to carry eight 3-inch rockets.
The inboard 20-mm magazines held 98 rounds per gun and the outboard held 88.

Would've took a lot of time to check out the data, but I do like the concept - thanks for posting :D

Nice!

Have you got some other data from finish tests.

Serial planes are often worse than experimental or specialy choosen for tests ones.

Look on the MS-406, from french official tests it was running at 400 km/ at SL, and about 486 even 494 km/h at alt!

interesting but requires more parameters for judgment - climb is dramatically affected by weight, as well as range.

Bomber performance comparisons are similarly of little interest unless you have data to trade, speed, payload and range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back