I got the info from this site which looks authentic including the identification of the aircraft number. In addition, two other sources I have and trust agree to the data shown in this flight test. The P-51D shows 375 mph at SL using about 1630 hp. I think my comments are good.
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/mustang/p51d-15342-level.jpg
Please see below.
The P-51D was introduced into the 8th AF in March '44. The Bf-109K was introduced in November, '44.
I am afraid this is incorrect, I trust Bill on this, and practically all publications I`ve seen say June 1944 for the P-51D as an introduction date.
The 109K was introduced in during October, units received it in huge numbers already that month (some 200 were around, even though some were wrecked during refit). It was certainly in combat by the start of November since the first combat loss is known from 2 November 1944.
So, if you want to keep the playing field truely even, you need to find the first date by which at least 200 P-51Ds were in service with first line units, and, they suffered losses in combat. For the 109K, it`s November 2, even though it was in production since August 1944.
To me a couple of months seems rather indifferent, and, there were plenty of 'interim' aircraft produced since early 1944 which ensured the 109K`s absance until October 1944 was not really felt - the K itself offered mostly just cleaner lines and more importantly, a standardized airframe with rationalized internal arrangements.
Six months in WWII during this time was a generation of aircraft development. In the summer and fall of 1944, a whole family of aircraft with much greater performance over the mainstay of WWII aircraft, was introduced on both sides. These include Fw-190D-9, Bf-109K, F4U-4, P-47M/N, P-51F (later H), Ta-152H, and others.
I think the 51F wasn`t introduced at all, or the p51H for that matter in the second half of 1944. I`d suggest you check out the new models of 109G that were introduced in the first half of 1944, especially the /AS types with methanol. By all accounts, these were excellent aircraft, and very close to the 109K in performance, albeit some 20 km/h slower due to their less clean airframes. Nevertheless, they stepped in for the 109K and DB605D since March 1944 as an interim solution.
The XP-51F, the predecessor of the H, flew in Feb. 44. Unlike Germany, who was desperate to stop the hordes of P-51s, P-47s, B-17s, B-24s, and Brit planes, with advanced aircraft, the US, whose aircraft performance was adequate and the quantity was overwhelming, did not expedite new models. Had the need arose, there is no doubt that a P-51H or the similar P-51F could have been available in the fall of '44.
There`s much speculation in this and grossly underestimates development problems. Germany,
who was desperate to stop the hordes of P-51s, P-47s, B-17s, B-24s, and Brit planes, with advanced aircraft, as you say, was developing the 109K since
March 1943. How much easy it would have been for them to have it, one may say, by late 1943...? It`s certainly very easy to say - but in It took them until late 1944 until it actually arrive at the units, and it was far less radical departure from the existing G-airframes. Not to mention, that to my best knowledge, the F-series Mustang, as hot their spec are, are essentially experiemental aircraft that toyed with the idea of lowering airframe stress limits and weight in favour for higher performance. Apart from it never been realized in this form, it`s also questionable how much use such lightly stressed aircraft would be operationally, how many potential problems would be needed to be solved with the airframe and engine before it would be combat ready, how long it would take factories to re-tool etc.
I don`t like such speculations, and after all, the facts are on the table, we know how it was, anything else is a swamp of guesswork, riddled with dangerous intellectual traps every step. The 51F did not become an operational type just and the P-51H, which just missed the war, eventually did not produce the very impressive performance figures originally expected and calculated for it.
My multiple sources show that the P-51D was capable of 375 mph at SL at about 1640 hp.
Individual aircraft performance of course, differ from plane to plane, and it especially seems to be true w the Mustang.
I prefer this one for the
P-51D Performance since it notes that
'the data presented represent good agreement with most of the flight test results'. It`s probably a good middle-value.
It shows 368 mph at SL, and I presume the wingracks are missing (I could be wrong), which chopped some 12 mph off from top speed and were std fitting. With them it would do about
356 mph, and there`s also a test with the RAF`s TK 589 which I have which had 354mph at SL (w. racks).
The one you shown, with 375 mph claimed at SL at the same rating of 67", from June 1945, is very much higher than that. I can only guess why - perhaps an exceptionally good aircraft was tested, and/or it was polished and had special surface treatment. But I doubt it`s normal (and so do even North American, see above), it`s probably the best figure around.
The Bf-109K had 1800 horses available and could not achieve that (and my source for that is not Mike Williams site).
The 109K had 1800 PS in it`s earliest engine that was not fitted to too many aircraft though, or 1850 or 2000 PS. With the two latter ratings, it was officially rated at 370mph and 377 mph respectively, and some 8 mph if polishing was applied.
And of course, as in the case of the Mustang, there were worser and better planes. The tolerance was usually 3%, so theoretically you could have a production 109K anywhere between 360 mph (a plane w. the lowest rating, so badly built it just passed acceptance tests) and ~395 mph (a plane with the highest rating, with exceptionally good finish, polished by the loving groundcrew).
I don't know. While the data I referenced looks authentic and professional and states that it is flight test data (no tail numbers however), I have researched a lot and have not come up with support data for those values. Since I do not like depending on sole source data, especially when other data is available, I must withdraw my comments referencing F4U-4 climb rates.
That`s what puzzles me. I have seen half a dozen set of data for the the F4U4, and none of them agree. It seems they were continously revised, for some reason.
Unfortunately, I do not have any data from you on climb for the Bf-109K, so the only data I could use was from Mike Williams site and this particular data (but not most at Mike's site) may be a bit suspect. I would be glad to update my data base to better data if you could give it to me.
You may find this kind of climb rate data (copies of the original papers) on my site, for both 1,8 and 1,98ata. Mike used to have 1,98ata performance displayed, ableit barely visibly on some previous version of his controversial comparison articles, but appearantly he couldn`t bear it even being there so he removed it a while ago. It seems some of his current values for the K-4 at 1.8ata are in fact taken from the K-6 heavy fighter.
In any case you can view the whole thing on my site, here :
Kurfürst - Performance of 8 - 109 K4 and K6 with DB 605 ASCM/DCM This is the only thing, I dare say, most if not all of us aircraft geeks have on 109K performance.