Could a Luftwaffe bomber tune into British radio? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GD2508

Airman
Oct 7, 2021
Theoretically, is it possible that a Luftwaffe bomber (say, Heinkel or Junkers) to tune into BBC Radio when flying over the channel / over the UK in Battle of Britain era?

If so, which radio would this be? And could the pilot tune into this too? Or only the RO?

Theoretically, is it possible that a Luftwaffe bomber (say, Heinkel or Junkers) to tune into BBC Radio when flying over the channel / over the UK in Battle of Britain era?

If so, which radio would this be? And could the pilot tune into this too? Or only the RO?
I dont know about receiving the BBC but initially in the BoB there was a problem with LW bombers and fighters unable to communicate with each other. The frequency used depended on which crystals were fitted in the set.

But to what purpose?

BBC Radio changed its output in Sept 1939 to minimise navigational benefits to the Luftwaffe.

Perhaps of interest. Bbc in the technic stuff.

Attachments

• 13120.pdf
    763.6 KB · Views: 45
BTW then as now it was possible to pick up BBC radio in the Pas de Calais, I believe it was a criminal offense though.

....I've just read an account from a KG 6 Ju 88 crew - as related in Peter Taghon's history - who recall tuning into the BBC for some light listening on their way to bomb Bristol or Hull ...this was a mission during the Baby Blitz, early 1944....FWIW here on the white cliffs we can even get French TV channels depending on the atmospheric conditions and I often get messages from my phone provider saying 'Welcome To France' when out walking. I bumped into a guy the other day who was telling me he can read the time on the town hall clock tower in Calais with his scope...it really isn't that far..

....I've just read an account from a KG 6 Ju 88 crew - as related in Peter Taghon's history - who recall tuning into the BBC for some light listening on their way to bomb Bristol or Hull ...this was a mission during the Baby Blitz, early 1944....FWIW here on the white cliffs we can even get French TV channels depending on the atmospheric conditions and I often get messages from my phone provider saying 'Welcome To France' when out walking. I bumped into a guy the other day who was telling me he can read the time on the town hall clock tower in Calais with his scope...it really isn't that far..
The short answer is yes, but for what reason? The bombers for that period was equipped with the FuG10 radio consisting of sender, receiver for lang and short wave. The Bf (radio operator) cold distribute the output so that all crew members could lessen in or only the pilot / BF. The navigation was done by radio signals from several ground stations in Germany and occupied territories making it possible to make the bomb run on radio guidance as well as bomb release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back