AN/ARR-8 Radio Set-Where Used?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bigmerle

Airman
Dec 17, 2018
Radio set AN/ARR-8 is an airborne broad band panoramic receiver to cover all tuning range of 70 to 210 mc. The limited information I can find on the web says "The receiver offers a rapid means of locating and measuring of the frequency of enemy signals which are on for a very short interval of time". Does anyone have a reference that would indicate what aircraft this unit may have been used in? Post WWII bomber, perhaps B-36? Info or referrals of where to look next appreciated.

You guessed right. the ARR-8 was on the RB-36 (recon/ferret version of the bomber). "Magnesium Overcast" by Dennis Jenkins (2001) quotes from an introduction to the RB-36 ECM, written for a USAF training class circa 1953. "The RB-36 aircraft contains four ECM positions. The frequency range covered in each position is as follows: 1) low frequency (38 to 300 mc), 2) intermediate frequency (300 to 1000 mc), 3) medium frequency (1000 to 4400 mc), high frequency ( 4400 to 11000 mc).

"The low frequency position is located in the forward pressurized compartment directly behind the flight engineer's pedestal. It is probable that the low frequency ECM operator will also be the radio operator."

It lists the equipment at this position, which I will not repeat as it's so long. A single ARR-8 panoramic receiver is in the list. No further information such as frequency range is given. The description of the intermediate frequency position in the aft compartment lists three ARR-8 receivers and says "three ranges: 300 to 3000 mc".

I did not find any indication the ARR-8 was carried by the pure bomber versions of the B-36.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back