could u hear getting fired at inside the plane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Only if they were landing hits on your aircraft.

The pilot was wearing headgear that (typically) had radio headphones as well as muffled the engine's sound. Most aircraft at the time weren't insulated and the engine's exhaust was fairly close.

Even in a bomber, the noise level is significant although bomber crews could hear the Luftwaffe aircraft's cannonfire over the din of battle according to former crew members I've talked with in the past. (Mk108 30mm cannon sounded like a pneumatic jack hammer to them)

Since even the low velocity MK 108 shells were traveling faster than the speed of sound (at least out to around 300 meters) by the time you hear the attackers guns firing his first shells are already passing your plane ( or hitting it). THis makes for a really lousy warning :)

In a formation hearing guns being fired by other planes, both defending and attacking might be somewhat interesting but of little value.

I never really thought about it much, either, Aaron but I've heard it mentioned a few times by guys who were gunners aboard bombers, none of which were turret gunners. They had mentioned hearing the boom or crack of cannonfire, not sure if they were talking about 20mm or 30mm but the "jack hammer" comments would indicate the Mk108 30mm, because that was a distinct sound that it made.

I suppose it *might* be possible to hear enemy gunfire inside of a fighter, though I'm thinking if they're that close to be able to hear thier weapons over your engine, you're in serious trouble...

Not going into specifics but I was on a plane that took small arms fire from the ground. It sounded like someone thew a handful of rocks at the rear of the aircraft. WW2 vets described the same sounds. I didn't know what happened until after we landed, about 9 small holes in the horizontal stab and elevator.

My dad flew in B-24s and he said you couldn't here the flak going off even if you were in the thick of it. That is until your plane was hit, then like Joe said, it sounded like rocks hitting the aluminum.

I know from being in the butts at the firing range that at 200m the crack of the rounds going ten feet overhead is much louder than the report of the rifle that fired the bullet. It's possible that while an HMG 200m behind would not be audible to the pilot of the target aircraft, the sonic booms of near misses would be, even without any hits.

In "the straits of Messina" Johannes Steinhoff mentions how he would watch an aircraft crash: he would see the explosion, the fireball, all ... in complete silence. Also, he - and several other fighter pilots in their memoirs - mentions how they would be alerted by passing tracer ammo. I have never read they were alerted by "hearing" guns firing at them.

So, the answer is a definite NO.

Kris

I know from being in the butts at the firing range that at 200m the crack of the rounds going ten feet overhead is much louder than the report of the rifle that fired the bullet. It's possible that while an HMG 200m behind would not be audible to the pilot of the target aircraft, the sonic booms of near misses would be, even without any hits.
I've heard that sound too, but only when I was on the ground. That sonic boom isn't nearly loud enough to be heard over the noise made by any aircraft's engine, and other inflight noises.

Look at how many times the fighter pilots returned to base and would discover to thier surprise, the damage they had recieved, either by flak or by enemy gunfire.

If they were hearing all the impacts, then those gaping holes in the fuselage or wings wouldn't have been much of a surprise at all. In several cases, they only knew they had taken damage when the engine started spewing oil (or coolant) on the windscreen or the control surfaces became troublesome.

The noise levels inside of the cockpit of a WWII fighter are very high. Even in newer civil aircraft, holding a conversation without headgear can be difficult.

Look at how many times the fighter pilots returned to base and would discover to thier surprise, the damage they had recieved, either by flak or by enemy gunfire.

If they were hearing all the impacts, then those gaping holes in the fuselage or wings wouldn't have been much of a surprise at all. In several cases, they only knew they had taken damage when the engine started spewing oil (or coolant) on the windscreen or the control surfaces became troublesome.

The noise levels inside of the cockpit of a WWII fighter are very high. Even in newer civil aircraft, holding a conversation without headgear can be difficult.
In my experience I heard it inside a multi engine commuter on take off. It wasn't very loud but it got my attention. BTW I did not have a headset on and the interior of this aircraft was insulated.

There are plenty of documented reports where WW2 pilots stated that they could hear and feel their aircraft taking fire....

Type 97 Flying boat vs B-17

"Amid the exchange of machine gun roar, I could hear bullets tearing into our plane. The plane shook under the impact. All four engines were driving at full power."

Lt. Hitsuji, 851 NAG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back