Crop Dusters for CAS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have WAY more appreciation for those guys who flew L-3 and L-4 Grasshoppers.
Talk about kites.
In the case of the Cub/ Super Cub - the basic design started off with a 65hp engine, the airframe stayed basically the same and eventually "absorbed" up to a 180hp engine. Some individuals have installed even larger engines under experimental airworthiness certificates to include small turbine engines! I got to fly some of those Super Cubs in the video and I had a blast doing it but I was always on my game, basically you started flying the plane the minute you fire up the engine.

1659912860157.png

I had a Christian Eagle years ago in the US, sold it to a B52 pilot with 1000's of hours. He didn't want any tailwheel training , just jumped in and took off, 30 minutes later he was dead. Sad day, basically he didn't know what a rudder was for. Landing his B52 with a crosswind, he probably just adjusted the tracking of his landing gear.
B52 landing gear is an amazing thing unto itself…I had a Ford Ranger that drove in a different direction than the body pointed but, of course, that was after I rolled a couple times off a hillside…

Older Ford pickups used to "dog leg", especially F-150s, due to their suspension setup.
Sometimes it was real obvious on older models that had worn bushings.
I used to see that on the local junk scrappers trucks, F-150s overloaded with every kind of scrap imaginable and when metal is scarce a load of pallets will do, but those old trucks kept rolling. I miss the days when a mechanic knew more about turning wrenches than operating a multi-meter or muh pewta ..

Last edited:
From what I've seen (read), the AT-802U/AT-802L is packed with an electronics suit that dang-near rivals an A-10.
I haven't seen any particulars on armor, but it has been mentioned, so it seems that the militarized Air Tractor is a formidible machine.

The other types they're fooling with, I have no idea, to be honest.
Wonder what the countermeasures are going to be? As someone said, drones and MANPADS are the future. Look at what is happening in Ukraine. Aviation Week had an editorial a few months back that basically said attack helicopters and ground attack aircraft are pretty much done because of this. Unless they are so heavily armored and countermeasures kept up to date. Have you seen the photos of SU-25s shot down and damaged? Not pretty...

The electronics/weapons fit includes the option for AAR-47 MWS (Missile Warning System) and ALE-47 chaff/flare dispensers.

NOTE that the official program description states the AT-802U is intended for "low intensity" and "permissive" environments - ie no air opposition or heavy SAM/AAA. The AT-802U is intended for operations vs low tech and/or poorly equipped opponents anywhere the SOCOM footprint is small (intentionally or otherwise). An example would be improvised earth/grass/gravel runways or roads used for TO/landing, with minimal maintenance facilities and supply by air. Otherwise operations will be from the local friendly airfields if available. There is a reason why US SOCOM is the buyer.

I had a Christian Eagle years ago in the US, sold it to a B52 pilot with 1000's of hours. He didn't want any tailwheel training , just jumped in and took off, 30 minutes later he was dead. Sad day, basically he didn't know what a rudder was for. Landing his B52 with a crosswind, he probably just adjusted the tracking of his landing gear.
A graduate of the Bud Holland B-52 pilot school.

How are you when it comes to eucalyptus induced damage? Lol
So many fields in Phoenix had huge windbreaks of eucalyptus after it proved unusable as railroad tie material due to twisting and warping…
Thankfully I never had that particular problem but I did have some trouble with defoliant collecting in the prop kidney bearings on Ham Standard 2d30 and 12D40 . Gummying up the bearings so bad,they wouldn't change pitch..Ag-Cat or converted Stearman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back