Crop Dusters for CAS (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Such an aircraft kind-of already exists:

It's interesting to note that the aircraft that was going to compete with the AC-208, but was unsuccessful was the PAC 750 XL, a parachute dropper designed and built in New Zealand, which was based on the Fletcher top dresser. The 750 XL is very agile and can turn on a dime in the air. STOL capable, can take off and land virtually anywhere. Ugly thing tho.

51674981591_178904aae4_b.jpg
DSC_2831

It's not nostalgia. It's about still flying with one jug blown off.

Guy in the hangar next to mine put a Walther turboprop engine in his very nice homebuilt; it is similar to a PT-6. Unlike others, he had the fill equipment installed so to prevent hot starts. One day he decided to taxi it around a bit, since he did not wnat to fly it without a co-pilot experienced in the type. Turns out he had modified the brakes and did not have any. He had to throw it into reverse to get it to stop and gun it with a lot of rudder to turn. And it would not shut down; I ran up to see what was going on and he asked me to turn off the fuel valves; he was within a few inches of running the Right wingtip into a hangar.

The next day we took the cowling off. We found a loose cannon plug that apparently explained the inability to shut it down, but I found a hole in the turbine casing and fan blades rattling around down in the bottom cowl.

It's not nostalgia. It's about still flying with one jug blown off.
You're trying to relate a WW2 scenario into today's world. First I doubt an aircraft like the Sky Warden would be operated in an area against a sizeable ground to air threat. Second, if the engine is armored small arms fire shouldn't be too much of an issue and that's what this aircraft will most likely to encounter.
Guy in the hangar next to mine put a Walther turboprop engine in his very nice homebuilt; it is similar to a PT-6.
Not true!!! And not close to the PT6A-67F. It's a good engine but puts out half the SHP of a later model PT6. I've worked on BOTH engines (M601 and PT6A-27, -34 and -50 and I attended the Flight Safety FAM course in Toronto) and although turboprops, very different.
Unlike others, he had the fill equipment installed so to prevent hot starts. One day he decided to taxi it around a bit, since he did not wnat to fly it without a co-pilot experienced in the type. Turns out he had modified the brakes and did not have any. He had to throw it into reverse to get it to stop and gun it with a lot of rudder to turn. And it would not shut down; I ran up to see what was going on and he asked me to turn off the fuel valves; he was within a few inches of running the Right wingtip into a hangar.

The next day we took the cowling off. We found a loose cannon plug that apparently explained the inability to shut it down, but I found a hole in the turbine casing and fan blades rattling around down in the bottom cowl.
OK - and what does this have to do with comparing the PT6A-67F with a radial engine if the same HP??? Totally apples and oranges!

Again, name ONE radial engine, past or present that can fit in this aircraft, carry the same size and weight, has the same fuel consumption and the same HP (SHP)!

Just for the record, an R-2600 puts out the same HP but weighs over 2,000 pounds!!!

When I was a youngling, I would watch the local pilot fly his Air Tractor crop dusting the fields that are now fancy developments in Phoenix, Az. The way he went from end to end and flipped that thing around for the next row always reminded me of a pendulum, fly low, pull up hard, right before it seemed it would just fall out of the sky it's flip around and repeat over and over. For my money, it was a lot more entertaining than watching the guy with the helicopter from MASH doing it BUT I'll give it to the chopper pilot, he was Aces when it came to landing on the tank truck! That was in the '80s, looking back, I'm sure that guy must've honed his skills where and when it counted.. loach or snake!

I have a healthy respect for ag pilots. They know how to cut through cables at the end of the run without balling it up in the ground..I used to recondition props and have sanded out many cable marks …

I have a healthy respect for ag pilots. They know how to cut through cables at the end of the run without balling it up in the ground..I used to recondition props and have sanded out many cable marks …
How are you when it comes to eucalyptus induced damage? Lol
So many fields in Phoenix had huge windbreaks of eucalyptus after it proved unusable as railroad tie material due to twisting and warping…

How are you when it comes to eucalyptus induced damage? Lol
So many fields in Phoenix had huge windbreaks of eucalyptus after it proved unusable as railroad tie material due to twisting and warping…
Southern California had massive stretches of Eucalyptus trees, first introduced for ship-building (which they discovered would not work due to the splitting and warping) but soon discovered they made fantastic wind-breaks.
Seeing crop dusters vault over the treetops and swooping down to the deck was alot of fun.
Most of them were biplanes and one in particular, was painted in WWI Imperial German colors, complete with the 5-color lozenge pattern - it was that aircraft that launched my hunger to know more about the machines of WWI :thumbleft:

Tell that to about 90% of today's military aviators who will, more than likely never get near a taildragger, let alone fly one.
I had a Christian Eagle years ago in the US, sold it to a B52 pilot with 1000's of hours. He didn't want any tailwheel training , just jumped in and took off, 30 minutes later he was dead. Sad day, basically he didn't know what a rudder was for. Landing his B52 with a crosswind, he probably just adjusted the tracking of his landing gear.

I see also the Sky Warden can be configured as a 2-3 seater. Off the cuff I would expect these to be weapon systems operator's.

I had a Christian Eagle years ago in the US, sold it to a B52 pilot with 1000's of hours. He didn't want any tailwheel training , just jumped in and took off, 30 minutes later he was dead. Sad day, basically he didn't know what a rudder was for. Landing his B52 with a crosswind, he probably just adjusted the tracking of his landing gear.
That's why I have an issue with this platform. I've witnessed this as well (with less disastrous results).

Why are tail draggers so difficult on the ground? I've read about and understood the advantages of tri-cycle LG. The less in-depth books I've read, however, never touched upon treacherous ground characteristics other than the ground loop.

My best explanation from my experiences - tail draggers can be directionally unstable because of where the C/G sits and the distance from the mains to the tail L/G. Compound that with the torque from the engine/ prop and one wing gaining "unwanted" lift (during a cross wind) and the aircraft wants to swing to one side and tip, UNLESS you use rudder (LOTS OF RUDDER) and adjust your controls (stick back and ailerons positioned to compensate for this.

1659891384973.png

Tail draggers want to fly and gusty winds don't help. This happened when I worked at the US Air Force Academy. The Supercubs belonged to my former employer. A microburst showed up before we were able to get aircraft moved. The guy in the one aircraft that flew between the tower and hanger unbuckled his seat belt to retrieve something in the cockpit and was thrown upward. Those aircraft that got airborne were able to fly over to Peterson AFB and wait out the storm. No aircraft were damaged and all pilots received awards for their actions.

My best explanation from my experiences - tail draggers can be directionally unstable because of where the C/G sits and the distance from the mains to the tail L/G. Compound that with the torque from the engine/ prop and one wing gaining "unwanted" lift (during a cross wind) and the aircraft wants to swing to one side and tip, UNLESS you use rudder (LOTS OF RUDDER) and adjust your controls (stick back and ailerons positioned to compensate for this.

View attachment 680956

Tail draggers want to fly and gusty winds don't help. This happened when I worked at the US Air Force Academy. The Supercubs belonged to my former employer. A microburst showed up before we were able to get aircraft moved. The guy in the one aircraft that flew between the tower and hanger unbuckled his seat belt to retrieve something in the cockpit and was thrown upward. Those aircraft that got airborne were able to fly over to Peterson AFB and wait out the storm. No aircraft were damaged and all pilots received awards for their actions.

That third tow-plane was insane and kudos to the pilot that was able to get that plane squared away and headed into the wind!

View attachment 680956

Wow, No 3 tow about took a No 2, tip-strike and all. What airmanship for all involved!

Wow, No 3 tow about took a No 2, tip-strike and all. What airmanship for all involved!
During this period I was the QA/ Safety Manager. I was on the other side of the field and rushed over to the tower. During that time the other aircraft made back to a hanger. We made contact with the other pilots wo flew over to Peterson and were amazed that "Lln" (The pilot who got pushed between the hanger and tower) didn't scrape the wingtip, he must have missed by inches! These guys were highly experienced tail dragger pilots with thousands of hours flying these aircraft on top of their previous flying experience (most if not all were ex military). Our program would have been impacted if not cancelled if these aircraft were destroyed.

During this period I was the QA/ Safety Manager. I was on the other side of the field and rushed over to the tower. During that time the other aircraft made back to a hanger. We made contact with the other pilots wo flew over to Peterson and were amazed that "Lynn" (The pilot who got pushed between the hanger and tower) didn't scrape the wingtip, he must have missed by inches! These guys were highly experienced tail dragger pilots with thousands of hours flying these aircraft on top of their previous flying experience (most if not all were ex military). Our program would have been impacted if not cancelled if these aircraft were destroyed.

It sure looked like he was dragging some skin there for a moment. In any event, the flying skills on demo in that video are amazingly good, Sierra Hotel good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back