Curtiss-Wright: Loss of Don Berlin and downfall

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Speed is mostly depending on power vs. drag. Heavy aircraft were fast if the p/d ratio was good, talk P-51. Rate of climb is very dependant on weight vs. power installed, so we have the slower Spitfire IX out-climbing the heavy Merlin Mustang; American fighters tended to be heavier than European fighters.
XP-46 was reasonably fast for the power installed, but not fast enough to justify the switch from the in-production P-40 to the P-46. We don't know enough about the RoC, we also don't know enough about the aircraft condition during the tests (presence of protection, radios, guns, ammo, ballast?)
Yes, the non-turbo V-1710 was getting well behind the curve by second half of 1940.

I know that I'm late to the party with this, but as far as the Curtiss XP-46 underperforming, could it be just that it was too underpowered for the weight of the aircraft. It weighed (fully equipped) about the same as a Spitfire IX, but only had 1150 hp, instead of the Spitfire IX that had (depending on Merlin fitted) 1550+-1700 hp. I think that power to weight had a lot to answer for there.

The XP-46 was about the same weight as the P-40B and slightly less than the P-40C, its near contemporaries.

XP-46 was reasonably fast for the power installed, but not fast enough to justify the switch from the in-production P-40 to the P-46. We don't know enough about the RoC, we also don't know enough about the aircraft condition during the tests (presence of protection, radios, guns, ammo, ballast?)

The XP-46 was about the same weight as the P-40B and slightly less than the P-40C, its near contemporaries.
Part of the problem is that the two prototypes differed considerably in weight. And apparently in drag although that is seldom addressed. That or the figures for the XP-46A are the estimated target figures.
The XP-46 is supposed to have been good for 355mph at 12,200ft but speed with BP glass and gun muzzles uncovered was 348.5mph.
Initial climb was 2200fpm
Climb to 5,000ft was 2.1 minutes
Climb to 10,000ft was 4.0 minutes
Climb to 15,200 ft was 6.5 minutes.

The XP-46 was the armed/equipped version. How well equipped?
The XP-46A was the unarmed stripper version which flew first.
It turned out they could not ballast the the XP-46A to the required weights as they could not figure out how to fasten the ballast weights in the desired areas.

Don Berlin was no longer at CW when it closed down its aviation division and sold its assets to North American Aviation.

From Curtiss-Wright XF-87 Blackhawk - Wikipedia:
The Curtiss-Wright XF-87 Blackhawk (previously designated the XP-87) was a prototype American all-weather jet fighter interceptor and the company's last aircraft project.[2] Designed as a replacement for the World War II–era propeller-driven P-61 Black Widow night/interceptor aircraft, the XF-87 lost in government procurement competition to the Northrop F-89 Scorpion. The loss of the contract was fatal to the company; the Curtiss-Wright Corporation closed down its aviation division, selling its assets to North American Aviation.

Don Berlin returned to Curtiss-Wright in 1963 and helped them into a business other than aviation.

Curtiss WAS cruising along with little in the way of new designs. The XP-46 and XP-60 were basically extended P-40 designs. So was the XP-62. The family resemblance is way too strong. It looks like an overgrown P-36, and the P-40 was just a liquid-cooled P-36. To me the XBTC looks like another itteration, albeit with a different wing shape.

Let's say Shortround and I don't see this the same. Now THERE's a surpise, huh?

Either way, they didn't make the cut, so it's no big deal. They didn't make the cut because their products didn't perform. The XF-87 Blackhawk was just another in a long line of underwhelming designs. It didn't even LOOK modern, at least to me. At least the P-40 looked the part when it came out.

Don't get me wrong here, I like the P-40 and really believe the XP-40Q could have gone into production a LOT sooner than it actually flew. But Curtiss wasn't apparently interested in quantum leaps in performance or they would have been working on developments a LOT sooner.

Curtiss killed themselves with an unbroken line of adequate but not good-performing aircraft. Don Berlin left Curtiss, according to his son, when he wasn't allowed to "develop" the P-40 into a better fighter. His son does a very good presentation that generates a lot of questions. I've seen him at the Planes of Fame, but there were a LOT of people asking questions and we volunteers know that the public comes first. When questions were over we went out and flew our P-40N for the crowd.

Grumman didn't operate that way. They were working on the Hellcat when the Wildcat was into early deliveries and only made minor tweaks when the Koga Zero was found on Akutan Island, were working on the Bearcat a bit after delivering Hellcats and also had the Tigercat in work at the same time. Both flew and got into service before the war's end even if not MUCH before. They were at the top of their game right up through the F-14 Tomcat ... which didn't prevent them from being gobbled up in a corporate grab.

It's almost like the future we see in the original Rollerball movie, where the big corporations rule the world. Not quite ... but we seem to be headed that way.
Greg - an old thread that raised a question for me. In convrsation with Berlin's son, What was Berlin's last led airframe, and did he have anything to do with P-40Q?

Supposedly, Berlin was royally P.Oed when C-W management made him take the belly radiator off the P-40 and move it to the nose because they thought it looked better there.

Let's not engage in hear-say.

Supposedly, Berlin was royally P.Oed when C-W management made him take the belly radiator off the P-40 and move it to the nose because they thought it looked better there.
1. The plane went faster with the nose radiator.
2. It took Berlin almost 3 years to leave after the radiator change was made.

Maybe he was P.Oed. I don't know, but if he was he sure took his time about it;)

XP-40 as tested in Jan 1939 for the USAAC fighter trials.
1694913051222.jpeg

The XP-40 was first flown on Oct 14th 1938 in the famous rear radiator configuration.
Nd9GcR7t56Fn2ydskqDjYPPN3uQmYZJ_0tiwRmgGg&usqp=CAU.jpg

And was flown on Oct 16th to Langley field to be tested in the full size wing tunnel.

Maybe CW management bribed the Langley guys to recommend the radiator placement change?
That rear radiator was also thought to be vulnerable to foreign object damage.

Now please note the differences between the "as tested" set up and the early production P-40s.
The Narrow oval radiator intake.
The wing root intakes that fed the oil coolers.
The air intake/s for the carb were routed through the blast tubes for the .50 cal machine guns. The separate intake was added later.

Hi Bill,

Unfortunately, my last conversation with Don's son was before 2018 and we just talked about a point HE made in his speech. There were maybe 25 people milling around, including people he was with, so I didn't exactly get much one-on-one time with him.

He did not address Don;s last project that flew. But we all know he was associate with the P-36. P-40, XP-46, and P-75. He was in on the early development of the XP-55 and XSOC3 Seamew. The C-46 was designed by George Page, but Don oversaw the effort. Can't say if he had input. He also supervised the SB2C Helldiver, whose primary designer was Raymond Blaylock. At McDonnell, he oversaw the F3H Demon, the XF-85 Goblin, and the XF-88 Voodoo. In 1953, he went to Piasecki Helicopter and I'd guess his last design, or oversight of same, was there. In 1956, Piasecki became Vertol Helicopter, and they had some great designs. The Chinook is still in service. I think he had a part in the CH-47, but am not sure of that. He was there at the time, so it makes sense he had input or oversight.

The data for the XP-46 were sold to North American. I have no idea if they helped, hurt, or were not a factor in the design of the P-51. I tend to think they weren't much of a factor, but there were surely some data on cooling drag for the engine and oil cooler that might have pushed NAA to look for a "better way" in the P-51 design. I can't really say, other than to speculate ... and that does nobody any good.

Hi Bill,

Unfortunately, my last conversation with Don's son was before 2018 and we just talked about a point HE made in his speech. There were maybe 25 people milling around, including people he was with, so I didn't exactly get much one-on-one time with him.

He did not address Don;s last project that flew. But we all know he was associate with the P-36. P-40, XP-46, and P-75. He was in on the early development of the XP-55 and XSOC3 Seamew. The C-46 was designed by George Page, but Don oversaw the effort. Can't say if he had input. He also supervised the SB2C Helldiver, whose primary designer was Raymond Blaylock. At McDonnell, he oversaw the F3H Demon, the XF-85 Goblin, and the XF-88 Voodoo. In 1953, he went to Piasecki Helicopter and I'd guess his last design, or oversight of same, was there. In 1956, Piasecki became Vertol Helicopter, and they had some great designs. The Chinook is still in service. I think he had a part in the CH-47, but am not sure of that. He was there at the time, so it makes sense he had input or oversight.

The data for the XP-46 were sold to North American. I have no idea if they helped, hurt, or were not a factor in the design of the P-51. I tend to think they weren't much of a factor, but there were surely some data on cooling drag for the engine and oil cooler that might have pushed NAA to look for a "better way" in the P-51 design. I can't really say, other than to speculate ... and that does nobody any good.
Thanks Greg -

On the subject of P-51 based on Curtiss data, it seems evident that the approach was completely different between the Progenitor P-509 and the first XP-46 as illustrated in NACA Drag reports trying to clean up theXP-46.

1. Direct evidence is presence of two intake shemes, one up front with smaller frontal area and one under wing. Front scoop had fixed area intake scoops no apparent adjustable exit. Aft scoop appeared to have variable area front and back soop - but not sure if 'variable geometry' as per NAA design. According to drag study comments there were issues not only withexcessive drag, but also inadequate cooling in climb.
  2. The data negotiated 4/11/40 with Curtiss including wind tunnel and conformation data, cooling reqmnt for the engine and oil, fillet and windscreen and empennage, as well as wing design - were delivered in May 1940.
  3. The first P-509 drawing that I could date as completed, namely P-509-3 of March 10th, 1940 was a General Arrangement drawing with equipment, incl Glycol/oil radiator imbedded in fuselage aft of cockpit with intake scoop under cockpit. That drawing and general arrrangement of sections and equipment was basis for NA 1592 Specification delivered 3/11 and NA 1593 weight and performance report delivered 3/15. Both with citations for meridith cooling, high speed/low drag wing, exhaust gas thrust, commited production quality. Notable is that the original P-509 wing (circa 12/39) was NACA 2516.
  4. The P-509 and P-509 mock up were competed before the extensive dialogue with RAE/BPC/RAF technical team completed reviews leading to increased fuel from 156gal (P-509) to 170 gal (NA-73), as well as Agree that if NAA proposal for "NACA Low drag airfoil development didn't achieve test results - then NACA 23015 would be substituted".. The first NA 1620 Specification for NA-73/XP-51 was completed on 4/24 - which date generally cited as 'the beginning date for Preliminary Design of X-73. Over next month the final airfoil design for NAA/ACA 45-100 was completed and sent to GALCIT for wind tunnel testing.
  5. The final detail three view and general arrangement of X-73 was delivered to Experimental Department to purchase on May 7.
  6. As noted above, the Curtiss data arrived for Horkey evaluation at same time. Atwood is later quoted that he was btterly disappointed that there was nothing of valueregarding the cooling arrangements.
  7. All fabrication activities for X-73 began May 7, X73 completed save installation for Allison completed Sept 6, Dummy engine installed for publicity roll out Sept 10. NA-73 flew October 26, 1940 but XP-46 didn't fly until Feb 1941.
Summary-
  1. NAA Cooling sytem preliminary design of imbedded radiator and variable intake/exhaust aft of cockpit first dated to December 1939, although completely aft of wing. NAA began R&D research into Meredith (1935), Capon (1936) and Gothert (1938 NACA translation) reports (just like everybody else; Kindelberger received Hurricane and Spitfire test results on trip to sell AT-6 Harard in 1938.
  2. When you compare P-509 to XP-46, four features are similar - namely the upper cowling carb intake, although P-509/73X are set back; they both have a similar approach to the aft cooling system with imbedded glycol radiator; they each have inward retracting main gear, and; they each have 156gal of fuel. But everything from empennage, wing, forward fuselage, etc were drastically different.
  3. And, last but not least - the Mustang design Worked.

You have to believe in industrial espionage to believe that somehow NAA chose to steal aft radiator location from Curtiss given P-509 in play long before XP-46 data was even received by NAA- but would have to explain if Curtiss stole the idea from Hawker or Detwoine D.520, or Arsenal VG-33 or MiG 1.

I' too pressed for tme as I finish this to add images of the NACA Drag testing & Geometry illustrations to compare - or the various images of XP-46 vs X-73, but I show them in Bastard Stepchld.

You know Bill, a timeline showing the milestones of P-51 development would be very cool. Maybe just a Microsoft Word document with the significant items in Mustang development, You probably HAVE that already in one of your books.

As an aside, I'm sure everyone is aware that the last Reno Air Races were just completed. Steve Hinton Jr. won Unlimited Gold flying the Bardahl Special. Before this last event, the Bardahl Special last raced at Reno 56 years ago, and was flown then by Chuck Lyford. The livery was the same as for the 1965 races (race # 8). Stevo won his first heat race at 470 mph, but the competition was not really there as the next fastest airplane was the Hawker Sea Fury Dreadnaught (Joel Swagger) at around 440 mph and who blew an engine and was put out of the race. So, Steve pulled back on the power and won his last heat at only 405 mph.

After the T-6 Gold race was run, the six racers were making their way back to the runway when two of them had a mid-air and crashed, killing both pilots. RARA (Reno Air Race Association) cancelled the last two races (Unlimited Silver and Gold) and Steveo won on his last heat speed (405 mph). The Bronze race featured five P-51s and Bell P-63. The P-63 (Patrick Nightingale) finished third as I recall. A lot has been made of the supposed top speed differences between the P-63 and the P-51, but the Bronze race is for basically stock airplanes that are not modified for racing. The P-63 passed a couple of P-51s to get third. The old Allison didn't do too badly at all.

Last edited:
You know Bill, a timeline showing the milestones of P-51 development would be very cool. Maybe just a Microsoft Word document with the significant items in Mustang development, You probably HAVE that already in one of your books.

As an aside, I'm sure everyone is aware that the last Reno Air Races were just completed. Steve Hinton Jr. won Unlimited Gold flying the Bardahl Special. Before this last event, the Bardahl Special last raced at Reno 56 years ago, and was flown then by Chuck Lyford. The livery was the same as for the 1965 races (race # 8). Stevo won his first heat race at 470 mph, but the competition was not really there as the next fastest airplane was the Hawker Sea Fury Dreadnaught (Joel Swagger) at around 440 mph and who blew an engine and was put out of the race. So, Steve pulled back on the power and won his last heat at only 405 mph.

After the T-6 Gold race was run, the six racers were making their way back to the runway when two of them had a mid-air and crashed, killing both pilots. RARA )Reno Air Race Association) cancelled the last two races (Unlimited Silver and Gold) and Steveo won on his last heat speed (405 mph). The Bronze race featured five P-51s and Bell P-63. The P-63 (Patrick Nightingale) finished third as I recall. A lot has been made of the supposed top speed differences between the P-63 and the P-51, but the Bronze race is for basically stock airplanes that are not modified for racing. The P-63 passed a couple of P-51s to get third. The old Allison didn't do too badly at all.
Thanks for that Greg. I'm preparing just such a chronolgy for an upcoming you tube series. I will send to you after I complete the presentation. Yes, if you read my book and note the chronological order of features you will get 90% of what you are asking for.

The P-63 was about as clean as the P-51B (with racks), not as clean as D or H. With same benchmark HP it should compete with all versions. What dash Allison? -119 or 145 or? What MP, if any, restrictions aply to the 51 engines for 'stock?

This was the Bronze Class. All airplanes pretty much stock. Not sure about the Allison, but Joe Yancey built it, so the internals are all 100-series and late parts. Not sure what the data plate dash number is. "Pretty Polly" is a P-63A, so I'm guessing the engine data plate says V-1710-95. The Allisons with the 100-series and late parts make about 1,425 hp at stock WWII-approved MAP and about 1,600 hp if you push them to WER at Reno altitude.

After watching the race, I'm pretty sure they were all pushing the engines to about stock power levels, not WER. I'm guessing the Merlins were mostly running 3000 rpm and about 58 - 61 inches at the start of the race, and the Allison was likely running 3000 rpm at about 57 inches. Surely not any harder than that. I DID notice the P-63 accelerated fairly quickly to take third in the last half-mile of the race. If I were to guess, I'd bet Patrick Nightingale flicked the rpm switch (rpm goes up 200 for every time you move the switch) and went from 3000 to 3200 about then. I'd also bet he flicked it back to 3000 after the finish line. These airplanes are not racers; there was no use in blowing anything, and stock power levels are not very dangerous to engine life assuming you don't set the power to max and leave it for an hour. This was the last hurrah at Reno, so there was some desire to finish well since there would be no repeat any time soon.

I'm sorry they didn't get to run Silver and Gold.

This was the Bronze Class. All airplanes pretty much stock. Not sure about the Allison, but Joe Yancey built it, so the internals are all 100-series and late parts. Not sure what the data plate dash number is. "Pretty Polly" is a P-63A, so I'm guessing the engine data plate says V-1710-95. The Allisons with the 100-series and late parts make about 1,425 hp at stock WWII-approved MAP and about 1,600 hp if you push them to WER at Reno altitude.

After watching the race, I'm pretty sure they were all pushing the engines to about stock power levels, not WER. I'm guessing the Merlins were mostly running 3000 rpm and about 58 - 61 inches at the start of the race, and the Allison was likely running 3000 rpm at about 57 inches. Surely not any harder than that. I DID notice the P-63 accelerated fairly quickly to take third in the last half-mile of the race. If I were to guess, I'd bet Patrick Nightingale flicked the rpm switch (rpm goes up 200 for every time you move the switch) and went from 3000 to 3200 about then. I'd also bet he flicked it back to 3000 after the finish line. These airplanes are not racers; there was no use in blowing anything, and stock power levels are not very dangerous to engine life assuming you don't set the power to max and leave it for an hour. This was the last hurrah at Reno, so there was some desire to finish well since there would be no repeat any time soon.

Hey Greg,

I'm not up on current racing info so here's my dumb question. What's up with Reno air races? They are stopping the races? Please expand for us uneducated.

Thanks.

The NATIONAL AIR RACES, began in 1920 with the first Pulitzer Trophy race, were first held at Cleveland Airport in 1929 and included an aircraft exhibit at Public Auditorium. There were 35 racing events during the 10-day meet and several cross-country derbies, including what became known as the Powder Puff Derby for women. Aviators Charles Lindbergh, Roscoe Turner, and Amelia Earhart were among those participating in races or aerobatic demonstrations. National Air Races Members of the 1929 Board of Directors included There were 35 racing events during the 10-day meet and several cross-country derbies, including what became known as the Powder Puff Derby for women. Aviators Charles Lindbergh, Roscoe Turner, and Amelia Earhart were among those participating in races or aerobatic demonstrations. National Air Races Members of the 1929 Board of Directors included ALVA BRADLEY, John T. Blossom, I. F. FREIBERGER, and M. J. VAN SWERINGEN. This 1929 meet helped make the National Air Races a major American event, which was important in promoting air travel and advancing aircraft research and development. With the exception of 1930, 1933, 1936, and the war years 1940-45, the races were held in Cleveland until 1949. Two of its most famous events were the Thompson Trophy Race, sponsored by Thompson Products, and the cross-country Bendix Trophy Race, sponsored by the Bendix Corp. , John T. Blossom,There were 35 racing events during the 10-day meet and several cross-country derbies, including what became known as the Powder Puff Derby for women. Aviators Charles Lindbergh, Roscoe Turner, and Amelia Earhart were among those participating in races or aerobatic demonstrations. National Air Races Members of the 1929 Board of Directors included ALVA BRADLEY, John T. Blossom, I. F. FREIBERGER, and M. J. VAN SWERINGEN. This 1929 meet helped make the National Air Races a major American event, which was important in promoting air travel and advancing aircraft research and development. With the exception of 1930, 1933, 1936, and the war years 1940-45, the races were held in Cleveland until 1949. Two of its most famous events were the Thompson Trophy Race, sponsored by Thompson Products, and the cross-country Bendix Trophy Race, sponsored by the Bendix Corp. s 1929 meet helped make the National Air Races a major American event, which was important in promoting air travel and advancing aircraft research and development. With the exception of 1930, 1933, 1936, and the war years 1940-45, the races were held in Cleveland until 1949. Two of its most famous events were the Thompson Trophy Race, sponsored by Thompson Products, and the cross-country Bendix Trophy Race, sponsored by the Bendix Corp.

Another prominent race was the LOUIS W. GREVE Trophy, named for an important early promoter of the National Air Races from the CLEVELAND PNEUMATIC TOOL CO. family. The Thompson race was a high-speed closed course pylon race, which was barred to women by the mid-1930s because it was believed the race was too dangerous for them to handle competently or safely. During the 1949 Thompson Trophy event, pilot Bill Odom crashed his highly modified P-51C racer into a Berea home, killing himself, resident Jeanne Laird, and her 13-month-old son, Craig. That produced a flurry of ordinances in Berea and other nearby communities to prohibit races over their cities, and there was no national race in 1950 competently or safely. During the 1949 Thompson Trophy event, pilot Bill Odom crashed his highly modified P-51C racer into a Berea home, killing himself, resident Jeanne Laird, and her 13-month-old son, Craig. That produced a flurry of ordinances in Berea and other nearby communities to prohibit races over their cities, and there was no national race in 1950.

between 1951-63, air shows/races were held elsewhere in the country. A nebetween 1951-63, air shows/races were held elsewhere in the country. A new CLEVELAND AIR SHOW began in 1964 at BURKE LAKEFRONT AIRPORT. Incorporated as the Cleveland National Air Show, it continued the National Air Race tradition without unlimited-class pylon racing.d as the Cleveland National Air Show, it continued the National Air Race tradition without unlimited-class pylon racing.

They re-started the National Air Races at Reno in 1964. Bill Stead was the organizer. They took place at Sky Ranch airfield, a dirt strip barely 2,000 feet (610 m) long, which was located in present-day Spnish Springs. They took place at Sky Ranch airfield, a dirt strip barely 2,000 feet (610 m) long, which was located in present-day Spanish Springs. After Stead Air Force Base (20 miles to the west, and named in honor of Bill's brother, Croston Stead) was closed in 1966, that field was turned over for public use, and the races have been held there since then.

Aircraft in the Unlimited class, which consists almost entirely of modified and stock World War II fighters, routinely reach speeds in excess of 400 miles per hour. In 2003, Skip Holm piloted Terry Bland's modified P-51D Mustang, Dago Red, and reached an all-time Unlimited class speed record of 507.105 mph in a six-lap race around the 8+1⁄2-mile course. The recently added Sport Class racers, mostly homebuilt aircraft, are reaching speeds in excess of 400 mph. In 2009, Curt Brown set a record of 543.568 mph in his jet-engine L-29 Viper.

The Reno Air Races include two and a half days of qualifying, followed by four and a half days of multi-aircraft heat racing, culminating in the Unlimited Class Gold Race on Sunday afternoon. The event also features civil airshow acts and military flight demonstrations between races, plus vendor areas and a large civil and military static aircraft display.

The COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 caused the 57th annual race to be cancelled and deferred to 2021. In 2001 the remainder of the event was cancelled because of the grounding of US aviation following the attacks on 11 September.

The 2023 air races, which finished yesterday, were the last ones held in Reno.

When the Reno Air Race Association (RARA) took over the event, they had a chance to make a world-class event out of it.

Instead, they were almost 100% focused on profit from it. It went from a really fun thing to a major expense, particularly for the participants. You used to be able to back a camper up against the airport fence and watch the race. RARA started charging a lot of money per day just to park, never mind actually get in the gate. It went from a fun event to many hundreds if not thousands of dollars to attend / participate.

Many people, including Lefty Gardner, Mira Slovak, Steve Hinton, etc. told them not to push the crowd farther than the grandstands were out onto the airport ramp, for safety reasons. They didn't listen (there's a shocker!), and started adding more seats every year, pushing them farther and farther out onto the ramp. Around 2010 they had a warning when they had a very high wind day. The sport class was running and a Thunder Mustang had an engine failure. He was fast and he put the Thunder Mustang down into a berm, cartwheeling it, rather than hit the jets that had been pushed out near the runway by the extra seats. RARA STILL didn't heed any warnings and, when Jimmy Leeward crashed in 2011, people in the outermost seats were killed. The crash claimed Jimmy Leeward, 10 people on the ground, and a further 69 people injured. That sort of sealed it.

After that, the insurance pushed the costs up to the point that most people opted not to participate. Once the profits hit a plateau and race entrants started to drop off, RARA decided to fold house. it didn't help that people had started to move in around the outer edges of the race course, either.

Letting RARA get into power was the worst thing the organizers ever did. After that, it was only a matter of time. Now, their cash cow is gone for good.

The racing community awaits someone who owns enough land to organize an event. I'm thinking someone like Rod Lewis or Tom Freidkin, but it may simply never happen again. We can hope, can't we?

That makes sense- no need for 2nd stage at Reno. I wonder how the -87 would compare to -95.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back