Cutting mats?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Has anyone of you tried these?

IMG_20211023_225903.jpg

Last edited:
The mats with engraved grooves . I'm afraid there is no difference between other mats of the kind and these above. The only difference is the coulour. Quite helpful with cutting out shapes of the masking tape. What about their price?

The mats with engraved grooves . I'm afraid there is no difference between other mats of the kind and these above. The only difference is the coulour. Quite helpful with cutting out shapes of the masking tape. What about their price?

Just under £20 each or £74 for all four....

I've got the A and D mat for a few years now and for me they are both items of wich I say, how did I ever do without it.
They're so easy to use and I think they will last a lifetime if proper used.
I like to make the first cut a few mm towards the edge and then make the long cut. This prevents the adhesive tape from rolling up.
So I can surely recommend them.

_IGP3776.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The mats help with cutting out strips, rings etc ... of a masking tape. You don't need to draw the shape you want cut. Just you stick the piese of the tape and using a scalpel or a sharp knife follow the lines on the pats . The lines are a kind of grooves ( channels ) the knife goes in along. These can be used for thin paper or plastic foil to get a shape of correct size.

Exactly what is usage of this thing?
It is divided in sections of 10ths of a mm.
As shown I needed to mask 13 stripes for my SBD-3 rudder.
I used calipers to measure the tail height, divided by thirteen got my width,
then measured the matt for that width (the matt is not that exact)!
Ran a strip of tape down the dividing line then cut both sides for the tape strip.
I also use this for masking canopies. 1mm strips along the framing, then fill with wider tape.
It.s indispensable for me now, I can trim tape with one hand while holding my part in the other.
Lift the tape with tweezers for easy placement!
cut matt.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back