D-13 vs. Tempest

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

spicmart

Staff Sergeant
May 11, 2008
Franz Götz flew his Fw 190D-13 in mock combat against a Tempest and rated them as equal. It came down to pilot skill he said.
Is it known which Tempest version he was pitted against, V or ll?
And did he use MW50?

Franz Götz flew his Fw 190D-13 in mock combat against a Tempest and rated them as equal. It came down to pilot skill he said.
And did he use MW50?
Given this was very shortly after VE day, its almost certainly likely to have been a Tempest V I would have thought. The Tempest ii was tropicalised and intended for service with Tiger Force, and still wasn't in operational service with the RAF before VJ day. Some iis were in Germany around October '45 - so if you can get a date for the fly-off, you might be able to definitively answer the question

Apparently there were several post-war flight trials by the British between Fw 190 D-13 and Tempest V. On June 25, 1945, German pilots Major Heinz Lange and First Lieutenant Günter Josten had opportunity to fly the D-13 (unknown if MW 50 was used).

And did he use MW50?
1688816456501.jpeg

Sorry, just had to put this up as D-13 was mentioned and I helped with this one ;0)

All Typhoon/Tempest enthusiasts or those interested in WWII air to ground support should read David Ince's "Brotherhood of the Skies" IMHO, onw of the best personal accounts by a perceptive observer, talented pilot, and inspired writer ... doesn't suffer from the faults of the usual "as told to" genre of books. His Squadron wound up being assigned to a couple KG200 bases as the war wound down, and he documents several Typhoons and at least one Tempest repaired by the Germans and evaluated.

Here is a copy of Hans-Werner Lerche's logbook showing flights on the repaired Tempest V flown by the Luftwaffe

Thank you. Obviously, the Germans had a lot more crash landed Allied aircraft to select from than those few Axis craft which ended up in England mostly. The Swiss however had dozens of Nazi craft which failed their navigtion finals, and considered setting up a squadron of Me109s.

KG200 was a lot better equipped than Wright Field, Pax River or Sherman Field.

The Swiss received 12 Bf-109G-6 from the Luftwaffe in 1944

wasn't it a Tempest squadron 486th that engaged the TA 152H's from JG 301 in April of 45....was just thinking out loud with out going to my data files. maybe the Ta superior though that is not quite the word I want to use to Dora 13 ?

I'm not sure, the KG 200 was a flight unit and the other 2 airports?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back