Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules
Hi Wurger,According to the Air Ministry list the Dunlop tail wheel A.H.O. 5007/2 was in use for the Typhoon, Tempest, Whirlwind and Lysander with the anti-shimmy 5.50-4 tyre. It is possible it could be used with the Bristol Blencheim Mk.V. The tyre WL 30 was usually fitted to the Blenheim and Typhoon. The DH Mosquito tail wheel was of the Dunlop-Marstrand 8.00 × 5 twin-track tyre and the wheel hub marking was AH10191. The tail fork also doesn't look like the Mosquito one. It is too "delicate". Also I got an impression the "fork" was modified by cutting or breaking off. See the bottom pic. IMHO it is from the Hawker Typhoon.
Hawker Typhoon tail wheel ...
View attachment 887235
View attachment 887236
the pic source: the net.
Hi Wurger,
Thanks for your help. It does indeed look like it was sanded or filed down very neatly. So, you would lean more towards a Hawker Typhoon? I noticed a white painted marking on the tire; I can't quite make it out—I think I see "Suffolk"?
Wurger—it just goes to show how memory can play tricks on you; the person I spoke to insisted it was a Mosquito! The facts speak for themselves, though—your answer is very clear and precise, and I agree with you. Do you think a maintenance crew might have marked their base location on that wheel back then? I'll do some digging myself to see if there were any Hawker Typhoon bases in Suffolk.Yes I lean more towards the Typhoon. However the Tempest also could be as these two types used the same tail wheel as memo serves. The white inscription isn't the factory standard marking but possible the maintenace crew could make that.
View attachment 887242
the pic source: the net.
Wurger—it just goes to show how memory can play tricks on you; the person I spoke to insisted it was a Mosquito! The facts speak for themselves, though—your answer is very clear and precise, and I agree with you. Do you think a maintenance crew might have marked their base location on that wheel back then? I'll do some digging myself to see if there were any Hawker Typhoon bases in Suffolk.
Thanks again for your help, Wurger.
Have a great day.
Laurent.
Ah yes, indeed, that's completely unrelated; the photos speak for themselves.Regarding the inscription here .. everything is possible.
And here the Mosquito tail wheel. It can be noticed that the part is of different shape and size.
View attachment 887250
the pic source: the net.