de Havilland Mosquito canopy framing

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

alex33

Airman
Jul 30, 2016
Hi guys.

I've seen on various models that the mossie has two set's of frames one is on the interiour of the cockpit and one is on the canopy

http://web.ipmsusa3.org/sites/defau...32-build-part-2/rgbenson_tamiya_mossie_24.jpg

de havilland mosquito canopy framing - Google-Suche

So my question would be is this true? Does the mossie really have two sets of framing? If yes does anyone have some wartime photographs, plans, surviving mossie pics where you can actually see this?

Thx in advance.

Cheers
Alex

I didn't think it would be the case, but it does appear that there are indeed two frames - a tubular interior frame and a frame within which the glass panels are fitted.

These are the de Havilland Heritage Museums B-35 looking through the entry hatch at the bottom (about 10 years ago).
P1100230 reduced.JPG

P1100231 reduced.JPG

The following are from W4050, then at the beginning of a restoration.
P1100344 cropped.jpg

P1100352 reduced.JPG

Hope that helps.

Thank you! I did not notice it at first too. But I really love the mossie and when i saw her model in war thunder there was something about it that put me off but i never got around what it was but i was sure it was something about her cockpit. Turns out all the frames are on the outside of the canopy which looks weird.

Here are some framing details from the Mossie FBVI parts manual. Though the FB VI canopy differed slightly from other marks, the concept is the same. The main framing is tubular and, as can be seen in the sectional views, most of the structure is inside the plane of the glass.

I have access to an actual Mosquito restoration project so if you need more info just shout.

Mossie Frame 1.JPG
Mossie Frame 2.JPG

Here are some framing details from the Mossie FBVI parts manual. Though the FB VI canopy differed slightly from other marks, the concept is the same. The main framing is tubular and, as can be seen in the sectional views, most of the structure is inside the plane of the glass.

I have access to an actual Mosquito restoration project so if you need more info just shout.

1View attachment 350264 View attachment 350265
Awesome thank you! Yeah that would be pretty amazing so please post it if you got the time =D More info is always better. Thx

The tubular canopy structure was - in many cases - sub-contracted to to one of the 'web' of over 400 contractors which supported the Mosquito production effort in the U.K. Carbodies Ltd produced the tubular structure (using press tools supplied under Lend Lease from the U.S.A.) and many canopy panels were produced by Moulding Components [Jablo] ltd in London using Perspex from ICI's Billingham Division. Mosquito fans might well be interested in our project - The People's Mosquito.

www.peoplesmosquito

We are restoring a Mosquito to flight status, and will be basing it in the U.K. Details (photographs of wood component production in New Zealand, by our prime contractor, Aerowood) are available on our website.

We have also launched a TPM Club for supporters, offering exclusive content, articles and no less then 5 forums!

http://www.peoplesmosquitoclub.org.uk/

Cheers!

Awesome thank ya'll for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back