Decals

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

chocko2312

Recruit
Nov 23, 2008
Hi guys,
sorry I am new here.
I am looking to make some of my own decals for my balsa wood warbirds. I have the decal kit (paper,sealer etc) but I don't know how to get the scaled graphics for the particular planes I want to mark up. Any help out there?
Chocko.

One of the easiest ways is with a 'drawing' softare package on your PC. For example, Adobe, Corel, Serif etc.
You can either produce what you want, or scan, say a 1/48th scale existing decal sheet, then re-scale it and print it off. Depending which system you use would govern the way to re-scale, but, for example, if you know the size of the original, it can, theoretically, be re-scaled to any size.
If you have a 1/48th scale letter or character that measures, on the decal sheet, one inch, then the original 'full size' would obviously measure 48 inches. So, in say 1/8th scale, that should measure 6 inches. Therefore, take the original design measurement (1 inch) and re-size, using the software's system, to the required size (6 inches).
You should find, even in a basic package, or in the PC's own font's, that you should be able to design and draw most types of letters, numbers and shapes, even with surrounds, inline/outline, colours etc., without too much trouble.
It should work OK in the scales you are probably talking about, in the smaller scales of plastic modelling, it is sometimes a little too 'soft' around the edges, due to the printing process.
Hope this helps,
Terry.

One of the easiest ways is with a 'drawing' softare package on your PC. For example, Adobe, Corel, Serif etc.
You can either produce what you want, or scan, say a 1/48th scale existing decal sheet, then re-scale it and print it off. Depending which system you use would govern the way to re-scale, but, for example, if you know the size of the original, it can, theoretically, be re-scaled to any size.
If you have a 1/48th scale letter or character that measures, on the decal sheet, one inch, then the original 'full size' would obviously measure 48 inches. So, in say 1/8th scale, that should measure 6 inches. Therefore, take the original design measurement (1 inch) and re-size, using the software's system, to the required size (6 inches).
You should find, even in a basic package, or in the PC's own font's, that you should be able to design and draw most types of letters, numbers and shapes, even with surrounds, inline/outline, colours etc., without too much trouble.
It should work OK in the scales you are probably talking about, in the smaller scales of plastic modelling, it is sometimes a little too 'soft' around the edges, due to the printing process.
Hope this helps,
Terry.
Thank Aiframes. I'll have play around on normal paper first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back